Empire was renewed at Fox for a sixth season but it looks like it will be returning without Jussie Smollett. He hasn’t been fired though. Fox released a statement that read: “By mutual agreement, the studio has negotiated an extension to Jussie Smollett’s option for Season 6, but at this time there are no plans for the character of Jamal to return to Empire.” So, basically, he won’t be in at least the first part of the season but they’re keeping the door open to sneak him back onto the series when the kerfuffle dies down. If it ever dies down.
Meanwhile, Smollett says
Hulu hosted its Upfronts this morning, and in addition to the reveal of some renewals and new series (see below), they announced they have reached 28 million subscribers — about half of Netflix’s subscribers. Still! That’s pretty good growth, especially coupled with the fact that the total hours viewed has increased 75% last year. Hulu has also announced they will be expanding “pause ads” — ads that appear when the viewer pauses a show.
Meanwhile, over at Netflix, they want to give you studio-quality sound.
Rob Thomas is threatening to go all Game of Thrones in the final season of iZombie and kill off all of the characters.
Salem’s Lot is going to play a large role in the second season of Castle Rock. Apparently, the two towns are going to find themselves involved in some sort of conflict.
I haven’t watched Chambers on Netflix yet, but here are some things you might have missed.
Oprah Winfrey is done with 60 Minutes because they tried to de-Oprahfy her.
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert will broadcast live after the first Democratic Presidential debate in June.
Negan was a bridge too far for the actor who played Tyreese on The Walking Dead. Same, dude.
Nic Pizzolatto is
threatening claiming that his idea for a fourth season of True Detective would be “great for the fans.”
What the fuck, Barbara Corcoran?
Get better soon, Houston’s own Bushwick Bill.
Alex Trebek spoke about his “deep sadness” related to his cancer treatment. ~sniff~
Our idiot Lt. Governor, Dan Patrick, called Beto O’Rourke “light in the loafers” on Laura Ingraham’s show Monday night (Jesus, he’s such an embarrassment), and it’s cost her another advertiser. GOOD.
Game of Thrones broke its own viewership record with “The Long Night,” with 17.8 million viewers tuning in on Sunday. No surprise there.
Meanwhile, the cinematographer of the episode says that it’s HBO’s and your fault the episode was too dark. OK, dude.
Sex Monster News
Ricky Schroeder was arrested for domestic violence for the second time in a month. Oh, Ricky.
Harvey Weinstein’s trial has been pushed back to September.
The WGA has determined that only a quarter of TV showrunners are women. This is my shocked face.
Ava DuVernay wants female directors to show themselves in the process of directing because representation matters.
- Empire has been renewed by Fox for a sixth season.
- The Chi has been renewed for a third season at Showtime.
- The Talk, The Bold and the Beautiful and The Young and the Restless and The Price Is Right and Let’s Make a Deal have all been renewed at CBS.
- Pen15 and Ramy have been renewed for second seasons at Hulu.
- The Obamas’ Netflix projects will include: American Factory, a documentary film; Bloom, a post-World War II drama series; Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom, a film; a series based on The New York Times‘ Overlooked project; Listen to Your Vegetables & Eat Your Parents, a children’s series; Fifth Risk, a non-fiction series about the government; Crip Camp, a documentary film.
- Family Style, a cooking show hosted by Chrissy Teigen and David Chang, has been ordered at Hulu.
- Ghost Rider and Helstrom have been ordered by Hulu. Gabriel Luna is going to star in Ghost Rider.
- Nine Perfect Strangers from Nicole Kidman and David E. Kelly is your next Big Little Lies. It will stream on Hulu.
- 68 Whiskey has been ordered to series by Paramount Network.
- Vincent Cassel is joining the cast of Westworld.
- Stephen Nichols is returning to Days of Our Lives.
- Melissa Claire Egan is returning to The Young and the Restless.
Mark Your Calendars
- The Handmaid’s Tale will return on Hulu on June 5.
- Veronica Mars will debut on Hulu on July 26.
- Lip Sync Battle returns on Paramount Network on May 30.
- The Disappearance will debut on WGN on July 9.
- America Unearthed will air on Travel Channel on May 28.
- Outdaughtered will return on TLC on June 11.
- Sweet Home Sextuplets will return on TLC on May 28.
- Brendan Schaub: You’d Be Surprised will debut on Showtime on May 17.
Gino Marchetti, NFL Hall of Famer
The Real Housewives of New York: Ramona takes Barbara shopping. Oh, lord. 8 p.m., Bravo
The Act: Season finale. Spoiler alert: it doesn’t end well for anyone involved. Hulu
Knock Down the House: A documentary film that follows several female Congressional candidates during their 2018 campaigns, including the boogeyman of the right, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Netflix
2019 Billboard Music Awards: I literally have no idea who is hosting or who is performing because there’s no information out there? Kelly Clarkson? Maybe Kelly Clarkson is involved? This is not how to do P.R., NBC. 7 p.m., NBC
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Alexander Skarsgård, Fontaines D.C.
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Charlize Theron, Tim Robinson, Judah & the Lion, Valerie Franco
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Mariska Hargitay, Thomas Middleditch, Hootie & the Blowfish
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Dr. Phil McGraw, Timothy Simons, Ashley Tisdale
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Emilia Clarke, Dennis Quaid, Pink
- The Daily Show: Chelsea Handler
- Conan: Tony Hale
- Busy Tonight: Emma Roberts
- Watch What Happens Live: Tinsley Mortimer, June Diane Raphael
|The Amazing Race
|Jane the Virgin
|NBC||2019 Billboard Music Awards
2 thoughts on “‘Empire’ has been renewed by Fox … but not so fast, Jussie Smollett”
Meanwhile, Smollett says what?
LOL, whoops. I started to add Smollett’s comments — it was some bland platitude about being grateful or something — and then I realized that I didn’t care what Smollett had to say, and apparently just wandered off from the computer.