“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
It’s happened. President Big Brother has finally gone Full Orwell, friends. In a speech yesterday at the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention, the President of the United States, the most powerful man in the world, actually said this to his supporters. Out loud:
“And just remember, what you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.”
It was (obviously) part of a longer tirade against the free press:
His tirade against “fake news” was greeted with cheers that turned quickly to boos as he gestured repeatedly towards news cameras and claimed his presidency was being misrepresented.
“Just stick with us. Don’t believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news.
“I saw a piece on NBC today, NBC, not just CNN, CNN’s the worst, but I saw a piece on NBC, it was heart-throbbing. They were interviewing people, they probably go through 20 and then they pick the one that sounds like the worst, but they went through a group of people, in fact I wanted to say, ‘I’ve got to do something about this Trump!’ Terrible.
“And that piece was done by the lobbyists and by the people that they hire, it was a total set-up. This country is doing better than it has ever done before economically.”
He added in his speech to the annual convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Kansas City, Missouri: “It’s all working out. And just remember, what you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.”
Mr Trump provided no evidence for his claim the unspecified NBC interview was a “set-up”.
By the by, the VFW issued an apology to the press following the speech, stating: “We were disappointed to hear some of our members boo the press. We rely on the media to help spread the VFW’s message, and CNN, NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, and others on site today, were our invited guests. We were happy to have them there.” At least someone in this goddamned story has some decency.
And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed -if all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth. ‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’ And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory. ‘Reality control’, they called it: in Newspeak, ‘doublethink’.
But it’s not just the unrelenting and shameful attacks on the press (which continue unabated less than a month after a horrific shooting at a Maryland newspaper), the administration is literally editing history. In a move that can only be described as Stalinesque, the White House completely eliminated a question from a reporter asking Putin if he wanted President Stooge to win the election from both the official transcript AND THE VIDEO of the Helsinki press conference — a question that we all saw asked with our own eyes and heard asked with our own ears.
The Atlantic pointed out this edit in a piece a week ago, Rachel Maddow reported on it on her show last night …
… and yet the edits remain. I suppose having Putin on the record openly admitting that he wanted President Puppet to win makes Presidential lies like this inconvenient.
“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading isn’t happening.”
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
And CNN got their hands on the Michael Cohen/Adulterer-in-Chief’s tape and aired it last night. Just more proof that President Liar is a liar who lies all the lying time. Not that it will matter to members of The Party.
President Reality Show’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star was destroyed again. A metaphor for our times if ever there was one.
Speaking of Trump, Kurt Sutter put a tiny easter egg in Mayans M.C. as a shout-out to Tiny Hands McGee.
In other TV News
Who is America? is already making a difference after only two episodes. Jason Spencer, the dumbass Georgia state representative who was “tricked” into exposing his bare ass and screaming the N-word on camera, has announced he will resign. Don’t feel bad for this asshole: here he is explicitly threatening an African-American colleague:
That said, Vanity Fair asks good questions about Who is America? targeting Corrine Olympios and the fraught dynamic that exists between young models and the men who photograph them. What was the joke again?
There is a petition out there asking Netflix to not stream Insatiable because people are worried it will encourage eating disorders. It already has over 140,000 signatures. Creator Lauren Gussis tweeted this in response:
Insatiable stars, Debby Ryan and Alyssa Milano, have also come out in the show’s defense with their own statements.
Roseanne is giving her first TV interview to Sean Hannity because stupid recognize stupid.
Meanwhile, The Conners has a premiere date (See “Mark Your Calendars” below), and a new theme song, courtesy of Sarah Gilbert’s wife.
They are threatening us with another Walking Dead spinoff “soon.” Because The Walking Dead‘s declining ratings and Fear the Walking Dead‘s flat ratings are a great indication that what America is clamoring for is more Walking Dead.
Today is Castle Rock day! (See “Watch This” below) Here are a bunch of Stephen King easter eggs in the first few episodes. And here is a very thoughtfully compiled timeline for the fictional town of Castle Rock as it has been depicted in movies based on Stephen King’s novels and short stories over the years. Don’t have Hulu? You can still stream the premiere for free.
David Tenant, a.k.a. the Tenth Doctor, worked with Jodie Whittaker, a.k.a. the Thirteenth Doctor, on Broadchurch. Here’s how he found out she was going to be the new Doctor.
Demi Lovato, after many years of publicly and honestly struggling with addiction, overdosed yesterday, possibly on opioids. She’s resting in a hospital now, and will hopefully find help that is stronger than the disease. Beat Shazam‘s episode last night was going to feature an appearance by the pop star, but Fox replaced it at the last moment.
- Yellowstone has been renewed for a second season at Paramount Network, to no one’s surprise.
- It’s official: the Deadwood movie is happening.
- A Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon limited series starring Michelle Williams and Sam Rockwell from Lin-Manuel Miranda has been greenlit by FX.
- Amazon has ordered Daisy Jones & the Six from Reese Witherspoon’s production company.
- Bad Robot is developing a dramedy based on the childhood of Michael Ausiello.
- Breckman Rodeo, the next project from the creators of The Americans, has been ordered to pilot by Freeform.
- Netflix has ordered a “modern take on Lord of the
RingsFlies“ and it will star Kathryn Newton.
- Comedy Central has ordered a pilot from comedian Tom Dillon.
- Ghost Hunt Live has been ordered by the Travel Channel.
- Lena Waithe has signed a first look deal with Showtime.
- The Alex Rider novels are being turned into a TV series.
- Amazon is not going forward with a Starsky & Hutch reboot that was going to be helmed by James Gunn, but they claimed they canceled it months ago before the current scandal.
- Hillary Clinton, Madeline Albright and Colin Powell will appear on the Madam Secretary season premiere.
- Ally Sheedy and Matthew Morrison will guest star on Showtime’s SMILF.
- Rob Morgan will recur on This is Us.
- Keiko Agena, John Karna, Sprague Grayden, and Cliff Chamberlain are joining the cast of Dirty John on Bravo.
- Matt Peters, Lucas Hazlett, Lex King, Steve Agee, Kitana Turnbull, Mike Lane, Juan Alfonso, Sophie Von Haselberg, Sas Goldberg, and Patrick Gallagher have joined the cast of American Princess on Lifetime.
Mark Your Calendars
- Monday, September 24: Dancing with the Stars; The Good Doctor
- Wednesday, September 26: The Goldbergs, American Housewife, Modern Family, Single Parents, A Million Little Things
- Thursday, September 27: Grey’s Anatomy; How to Get Away with Murder
- Sunday, September 30: America’s Funniest Home Videos
- Thursday, October 4: Station 19
- Friday, October 5: Fresh off the Boat, Speechless, Child Support
- Sunday, October 7: Dancing with the Stars, Shark Tank
- Sunday, October 14: The Alec Baldwin Show
- Tuesday, October 16: The Conners, The Kids are Alright, black-ish, Splitting Up Together, The Rookie
- The First will debut on Hulu on September 14.
- Wrecked will return on TBS on August 7.
- Greenleaf will return on OWN on August 28 and 29.
- The Comedy Lineup: Part Two will begin streaming on Netflix on August 31.
- Ridiculousness will return on MTV on August 5.
- X Company will return on Ovation TV on August 20.
- Escape at Dannemora will premiere on October 15.
- Deal or No Deal will return on CNBC on December 5.
- WE Day will air on ABC on August 17.
The Real Housewives of New York City: Bethenny continues to unravel in Colombia. 8 p.m., Bravo
Castle Rock: JJ Abrams + Stephen King = CAN NOT WAIT. Series premiere. Hulu
Burden of Truth: The CW gets into the legal drama business with this new series. Series premiere. 7 p.m., The CW
Young & Hungry: Josh takes the gang on his yacht. One-hour series finale. 8 p.m., Freeform
Colony: Will makes a sacrifice for his family in the season finale. 9 p.m., USA
Late Night: Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Alec Baldwin, Hannah Gadsby, Nikki & Brie Bella, Toots & the Maytals Late Night with Seth Meyers: Amy Poehler, Fall Out Boy, Nate Smith The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: John Dickerson The Late Late Show with James Corden: David Spade, Simon Pegg, Now United Jimmy Kimmel Live: Henry Cavill, Jeff Ross, Brent Cobb The Daily Show: Bo Burnham Watch What Happens Live: Ramona Singer, Meghan McCain
|CW||Burden of Truth
|Gordon Ramsay’s 24 Hours to Hell
|NBC||World of Dance/b>