Just to mix things up a little, I’ll start with the very little TV news that I have to offer because y’all don’t seem to be clicking on the impeachment-related headlines. And you know what? I don’t blame you. This is exhausting, and we could all use a big gulp of fresh air. (That said, I’m just pushing Impeachment Corner down below, I’m not getting rid of it because SHIT BE CRAY RIGHT NOW AND WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT.)
Our friend Cancel Bear is back for the fall season — though not with any guesses as to which shows will be canceled. Instead, they are picking which shows are most likely to be renewed. And while that may sound like the same thing just worded differently, it’s not.
Without even considering ratings, some shows already have a better chance of being renewed just based on how many seasons have already been made and how many episodes are already out in the universe as those numbers can make them more attractive for syndication. (It used to be that a series that was entering its third season was a safe bet for renewal, though with the decline of 22-episode seasons, it’s no longer a hard and fast rule.) Also, there’s the understanding that if a show airs on the network that produces it, its chances for renewal are stronger.
With that said, according to Cancel Bear, 9-1-1, Dynasty, and Black Lightning are all sure bets for renewal for a fourth season. (Dynasty, by the way, is the show I am alluding to in the headline.) Click on their post to see where all the other third season shows’ chances shake out.
In other pretty big TV news, a federal judge has blocked Georgia’s draconian abortion bill. (Which of course is exactly what Georgia wants — they want to push this up to the Supreme Court.) That sound you hear is the sigh of relief from literally hundreds of TV and film productions who won’t have to leave the state and their sweet, sweet tax breaks — at least for now.
We might get some more Fleabag after all! Hooray! Except we have to wait about 16 years. BOO. I’M HOLDING YOU TO THIS, WALLER-BRIDGE.
Schitt’s Creek is going to host a pop-up event in Los Angeles and New York in which fans can visit Cafe Tropical, the Rosebud Motel, Rose Apothecary and more. So if you’re in L.A. or New York this winter …
Get well soon, Bernie! I don’t want you to be the candidate, but I do want you to feel better.
What does today have in store for us? A lying Secretary of State, a “jaw suit” against “The Swamp,” and somehow President Twitter Fingers manages to tweet even CRAZIER things! I don’t know how, but he did it!
First up: Mike Pompeo, after telling journalists that he hadn’t read the whistleblower report on the call President Grifter took with the president of Ukraine, admitted in a press conference that he sat in on the call. OH. OH OH OH, OK. I SEE. Remind me again what Pompeo said on the Sunday morning shows when the whistleblower report first came out? “Those are private conversations between world leaders, and it wouldn’t be appropriate to do so [release transcripts] except in the most extreme circumstances.”
HUH. GEE. WHY, MIKE? WHY?
POMPEO to Martha Raddatz about Trump's Ukraine call: "You just gave me a report about an IC whistleblower complaint. None of which I've seen."
POMPEO today: "I was on the phone call." pic.twitter.com/dXfC1oy5g9
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) October 2, 2019
Also, it turns out Kurt Volker, the special envoy to Ukraine who resigned on Friday? Yeah, Pompeo pushed him out of the State Department in an attempt to make him the fall guy in all this. HEY, MIKE, YOU SWEATING YET?
Meanwhile, President Swindlers’ attorney, Crazy Rudy, told journalist Elaina Plott in a bizarre text exchange that he was filing a “jaw suit” against “The Swamp.”
Rudy Giuliani says he is looking to sue The Swamp. pic.twitter.com/3D65Mg6VaO
— Elaina Plott (@elainaplott) October 2, 2019
Oh my god pic.twitter.com/lJqw2yJhDU
— Andrew Feinberg (@AndrewFeinberg) October 2, 2019
By the way, CrazyRudyLaw.com is live.
In a soberer tweet (although “soberer” is a low bar), Giuliani said he’s looking into suing Congress, and by “Congress” he means “Adam Schiff.”
…for trampling on the constitutional rights of citizens by engaging in several illicit plans, carried out by illegal means, to remove the President of the US, on knowingly falsified charges allegations.
— Rudy Giuliani (@RudyGiuliani) October 2, 2019
Yep! Because utilizing a constitutionally dictated procedure, impeachment, is trampling the constitution. Just makes sense.
And not to get too bogged down in all this, because I genuinely believe the best thing to do with all of this is to keep it as simple as possible and remind folks that the President of the United States used his office to blackmail a foreign country to help him get dirt on a political opponent for the 2020 election, BUT! The Washington Post is reporting that Congress is looking into some of Giuliani’s OTHER clients, ones who actually pay him and GUESS WHAT?
House committees have also requested documents and depositions from two of Giuliani’s current clients, Florida-based businessmen who have been pursuing opportunities in Ukraine for a new liquefied natural gas venture.
The men, Lev Parnas, and Igor Fruman, have been assisting Giuliani’s push to get Ukrainian officials to investigate former vice president Joe Biden and his son and Giuliani’s claim that Democrats conspired with Ukrainians in the 2016 campaign.
WELL, WELL, WELL.
So then this morning, Adam Schiff and Nancy Pelosi held a press conference where they warned the White House that if they continue to stonewall Congress and not hand over documents and witnesses, their obstruction will be added to the articles of impeachment.
It’s important to note here that the Inspector General of the State Department reached out to Congress, asking to meet with them today to brief them about documents related to Ukraine:
NEWS: The State Dept’s Office of Inspector General has reached out to the relevant congressional committees with what it describes as an “urgent request” to brief staff about documents related to the State Department and Ukraine, multiple sources tell NBC. WaPo first reported.
— Geoff Bennett (@GeoffRBennett) October 1, 2019
WHAT’S GOING ON? IS THE WHITE HOUSE OR THE STATE DEPARTMENT DESTROYING DOCUMENTS? I BET THEY’RE DESTROYING DOCUMENTS, Y’ALL.
As for how President Meltdown is handling all of this, first he called a constitutionally-prescribed process a “coup,” in a clear effort to get the crazies wound up:
….People, their VOTE, their Freedoms, their Second Amendment, Religion, Military, Border Wall, and their God-given rights as a Citizen of The United States of America!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 1, 2019
I’m sure it’s no big deal. After all, it’s not like he’s ever inspired his base to commit acts of violence.
And then he watched Schiff and Pelosi’s press conference, and guess what? He did not care for it. He did not care for it one bit!
The Do Nothing Democrats should be focused on building up our Country, not wasting everyone’s time and energy on BULLSHIT, which is what they have been doing ever since I got overwhelmingly elected in 2016, 223-306. Get a better candidate this time, you’ll need it!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2019
By the way, and not that it matters much, but Clinton won 232 electoral votes.
Oh, and then President NOT ANGRY VERY CALM talked to reporters during his meeting with the President of Finland where he yelled about the whistleblower and how he still wants to know their identity and how they’re not a REAL whistleblower, before then complaining about a book written by New York Times reporters that claims he wanted to build a moat at the border and fill it with alligators and snakes, and to shoot migrants as they tried to cross over. Because this story, which is BATFUCK INSANE, BY THE WAY, it has to take a backseat to everything else that is happening. Oh, and also, he said The Washington Post reported this before screaming about the “corrupt media.” Is it too early to drink?
Minutes after tweeting "BULLSHIT," Trump avoids saying the word "jockstrap" because he doesn't want to offend anyone.
He then insisting his call with the Ukrainian president that's at the heart of an abuse of power scandal was "perfect." pic.twitter.com/Kq3Suqzz3F
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) October 2, 2019
No way, that didn't happen
It happened. https://t.co/QlSbVNwGDU
— David Frum (@davidfrum) October 2, 2019
And I’m just going to leave it on this note because if I don’t publish right now, 900 more things will happen:
Morning Consult poll:
Two weeks ago: 36% for beginning impeachment proceedings, 49% against.
Last week: 43% for, 43% against.
Now: 46% for, 43% against.
That's a move of 16 net points in two weeks to begin impeachment proceedings, and independents are now in favor 43-39.
— Josh Jordan (@NumbersMuncher) October 2, 2019
- Grand Hotel has been canceled at ABC after one season.
- DMZ, the DC Comic series about an American civil war, has been given a pilot order at HBO Max. It will be directed by Ava DuVernay, so that’s pretty huge.
- Let’s Stay Together, a romantic comedy starring and produced by Damon Wayans is in the works at ABC.
- Kevin Can Fuck Himself and 61st Street have been ordered at AMC.
- Drift, a sea crime drama (yes), is in the works at CBS.
- Trevor Noah is developing a travel comedy for Quibi.
- DJ Pauly D and Vinny’s Vegas Pool Party has been set at MTV.
- Mary Kay Place and Elizabeth Rodriguez are joining Shameless this season.
- Cherie Johnson will reprise her role in the Punky Brewster reboot.
- Alyson Hannigan is going to host Girl Scout Cookie Challenge on Food Network.
- Nat Wolff has joined The Stand on CBS All Access.
- Julia Goldani Telles has been cast in the third season of The Girlfriend Experience.
- Leah Gibson and Carl Lundstedt are joining Manifest.
- Cornelius Smith Jr, Keeya King, and J. Alphonse Nicholson are joining Madam C.J. Walker on Netflix.
- Tony Cavalero, Jessica Lowe, Peter Serafinowicz, and Jamie Demetriou are joining Miracle Workers on TBS.
- Natalia Cigliuti has joined the cast of Deputy on Fox.
- Alexandra Grey is joining Empire.
- Linc Hand is joining 68 Whiskey on Paramount.
Mark Your Calendars
- Atypical returns on Netflix on November 1.
- Breast Cancer themed movies will air every Sunday night on Lifetime this month.
- The Gift: The Journey of Johnny Cash will debut on YouTube on November 11.
- Here’s all the Halloween-themed stuff Hulu is doing this month.
- And here’s Shudder’s. HAVE I MENTIONED OCTOBER IS MY FAVORITE?
- Destination Fear will premiere on Travel Channel on October 26.
- The Life of Earth will premiere on Smithsonian on November 3.
- Killer Siblings will debut on Oxygen on October 27.
- Big City Greens will return on Disney Channel on November 16.
- Food Network will kick off their holiday cooking on November 3.
Hogan Sheffer, Emmy-winning writer on As the World Turns and The Young and the Restless
Peter Sessions, BBC Broadcaster
Henry Capanna, Agent
Eric Pleskow, Former head of Orion Pictures and United Artists
Stumptown: We learn Dex and Grey’s history. 9 p.m., ABC
Almost Family: A woman discovers that her brilliant fertility doctor dad was impregnating his patients with his own sperm and whoops! she might have 100 half-siblings. Series premiere. 8 p.m., Fox
SEAL Team: Jayson leads a team to Serbia in the season premiere. 8 p.m., CBS
S.W.A.T.: A serial bomber uses drones to terrorize Los Angeles. Season premiere. 9 p.m., CBS
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Natalie Portman, Henry Winkler, Robbie Robertson
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Nick Kroll, Zazie Beetz, Rep. Katie Porter, Roy Mayorga
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Rami Malek, Jill Soloway
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Allison Janney, Jonathan Van Ness, Tom Walker
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Gwyneth Paltrow, Evan Funke, Lunay
- The Daily Show: Jacqueline Woodson
- Lights Out with David Spade: Martin Short, Maya Rudolph
- Watch What Happens Live: Taye Diggs
- A Little Late with Lily Singh: Meghan Trainor
|CW||iHeartRadio Music Festival
|FOX||The Masked Singer