Syfy has canceled Happy! the single most cheerfully deranged show on its network. It also canceled Deadly Class after only one season. In fact, yesterday was a rough day for underwatched and talked about shows, as Sneaky Pete was canceled at Amazon, too.
But it might not be the end for Happy! Apparently, it performs quite well on Netflix, where it is popular with young men and teens. While Deadline reports that a pickup by the streamer is unlikely at this point, it’s clear the studio is making a push for it. In fact, stars Chris Meloni and Patton Oswalt’s only response to the news Syfy had canceled the series was to promote the show on Netflix, in hopes to boost the numbers and give it a second life on the streamer:
Patton Oswalt used this same technique to try to save A.P. Bio, too, encouraging fans to binge it on Hulu, in hopes Hulu might keep it. As of yesterday, he was still advocating for the hilarious little show:
This is a HUGE The Walking Dead comic spoiler — you’ve been warned. How will it affect the show/will it affect the show? ACK. Here Kirkman talks about the decision.
The one thing Emilia Clarke regrets from the end of Game of Thrones: that she didn’t take anything from the set. GIRL, WHY DIDN’T YOU TAKE THAT COAT?
Black Mirror dropped today and here are all the callbacks in the three new episodes. I haven’t watched yet so NO SPOILERS.
OH YAY CAN WE START THINKING ABOUT THE GOOD PLACE AGAIN? I AM NOT EVEN BEING SARCASTIC.
The Trump era has birthed “must-endure” television. By the way, watch Chernobyl, especially if you are a fan of horror.
The Jellyroll-in-Chief mocking Meghan McCain’s weight by calling her a donut IS RICH. STOP MAKING ME DEFEND MEGHAN MCCAIN, YOU DINGUS.
This is an essay about rewatching thirty-something as an adult after having watched it as a teenager (like I did) but it is actually about something much more profound and moving.
Someone leaked James Holzhauer’s loss on Jeopardy on YouTube ahead of the episode airing and THEY ARE IN BIG TROUBLE NOW, MISTER.
Jimmy Kimmel has his own theories on how Holzhauer lost:
But I genuinely don’t understand the conspiracy theories that Jeopardy would want to get rid of this guy: I know he won a lot of money, but he was GREAT for ratings.
Killing Eve really benefitted from people yelling about how good season one was: it had the highest season-to-season growth than any TV drama in three years.
For a hot minute yesterday, there was the suggestion that the Empire writers were planning to write Jussie Smollett back onto the series, but then Lee Daniels was like, “Yeah, no, he’s not coming back.”
- Paranormal: Caught on Camera has been renewed for a second season on the Travel Channel.
- Fuck, That’s Delicious and Traveling the Stars: Action Bronson and Friends Watch ‘Ancient Aliens’ have been renewed at Viceland.
- PAW Patrol, Bubble Guppies, Abby Hatcher, and Butterbean’s Café have all been renewed at Nickelodeon.
- The Ranch will end after season four on Netflix.
- There’s a Punky Brewster revival in the works.
- Kamp Koral, a SpongeBob SquarePants prequel, has been ordered by Nickelodeon.
- Baby Shark is being turned into a Nickelodeon show.
- Ready for War, a documentary about deported American military veterans from Drake’s production company, has been picked up by Showtime.
- Speaks the Nightbird is in the works at FX.
- The Last Word has been ordered at Netflix.
- Elizabeth Banks is joining Mrs. America on FX.
- Goran Visnjic will recur on Dollface on Hulu.
- Josie Totah is joining the cast of Good People on Amazon.
Mark Your Calendars
- The Rook debuts on Starz on June 30.
- Killjoys will return on Syfy for its final season on July 19.
- When Calls the Heart will return on the Hallmark Channel in 2020. Without Lori Loughlin.
- Wig: A Drag Story will air on HBO on June 18.
- Secrets in the Sky will air on History on June 9.
- Game Changers will air on History on June 16.
Bingo O’Malley, Actor
The Real Housewives of New York: LET THE SONJA HIT THE FLOOR, LET THE SONJA HIT THE FLOOR, LET THE SONJA HIT THE FLOOOOOOOR. 8 p.m., Bravo
Black Mirror: In case the world isn’t quite dystopian enough for you. Season premiere. Netflix
The Handmaid’s Tale: Speaking of. We are living this. Season premiere. Hulu
grown-ish: Season premiere. 7 p.m., Freeform
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: James Corden, Zoë Kravitz, Lewis Capaldi
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Jada Pinkett Smith, Zachary Quinto, Bryce Vine
- The Daily Show: Randall Park
- Conan: Sophie Turner
|CBS||The Amazing Race
|NCIS: The Cases We Couldn’t Forget
|CW||My Last Days
|Jane the Virgin
|Gordon Ramsay’s 24 Hours to Hell and Back
|NBC||American Ninja Warrior