HBO hosted their Television Critics Association presentation yesterday and had some interesting things to say:
The Game of Thrones spinoff(s) will not debut until at least a year after the end of Game of Thrones. But we still don’t know when that will be, either in 2018 or, God forbid, 2019.
HBO insists that Confederate will be what “a modern-day institution of slavery” would look like, not Gone with the Wind fanfic. They also admit that they announced Confederate horribly. “If I had it to do over again, I would have the four producers sit with journalists. HBO’s mistake was [thinking] that we would be able to announce an idea that was so sensitive in a press release. … People don’t have the benefit of the context from the producers that we had.”
Elizabeth Banks, Bryan Cranston, Jimmy Kimmel, Ed Begley, Jr., Carrie Brownstein, Lauren Graham, Nick Offerman, Nasim Pedrad, Elizabeth Perkins, and Judge Judy are going to appear on Curb Your Enthusiasm this season. Also, Larry David called Donald Trump a “prick.” Accurate.
HBO is happy with the Deadwood script but are still working out budget issues.
HBO is producing a miniseries about Chernobyl that will star Jared Harris.
True Detective 3 hasn’t been greenlit … yet. But when it is, it will star Mahershala Ali.
Literally the best thing you will read all day: the actor who plays Hot Pie on Game of Thrones opened an actual bakery and it is called “You Know Nothing, Jon Dough.” He makes direwolf cookies. <3
Dear TV Gods: I promise to not just watch, but blog all of Dancing with the Stars if they can land Sean Spicer. Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepl
Fox News used a quote from a New York Times story that they clearly did not read in a promo and then Trump tweeted about the promo because the relationship between Fox News and Donald Trump is just one giant human centipede.
And when that story broke, Scaramucci had a COMPLETE AND UTTER MELTDOWN on CNN’s New Day this morning.
We know what the first episode titles for American Horror Story: Cult are going to be. Episode one is called “Election Night,” and I am already terrified.
Shooter’s season is going to be shorter thanks to Ryan Phillippe busting his leg.
Larry David and Bernie Sanders are related in one of the least shocking things you’ll hear all day.
The most amazing thing about Cops reaching 1,000 episodes is that there have only been 1,000 episodes.
Get better soon, Ike Barinholtz, and don’t break your neck again, my goodness!
- Showtime has ordered A City on a Hill, a 1990s Boston crime drama from Ben Affleck and Matt Damon.
- AMC is developing Gang Leader for a Day, a 1990s Chicago drama from Ed Burns. (And yes, I had to double-check that these two projects weren’t the same.)
- TNT has picked up One Day She’ll Darken, a drama starring Chris Pine from the director of Wonder Woman.
- NBC is developing a Black female mayor drama from Penny Johnson Jerald.
- Ann Curry will host We’ll Meet Again, a new PBS series.
- Terry O’Quinn is going to be the host of Mysteries of the Missing, a show about plausible explanations of strange disappearances, on the Science Channel.
- TV One is launching Sister Circle, a daily talk show.
- Netflix has picked up the rights to the New Yorker feature, The Chameleon (which is a really creepy story, if you’re not familiar with it).
- Mythbusters is returning on Science with a new team on November 15.
- American Royalty, a book about the mafia, is being turned into a series.
- Queen Sugar has been renewed for a third season on OWN.
- Angie Tribeca has been renewed for a third season on TBS.
- Animal Kingdom has been renewed for a third season on TNT.
- Tom Hardy is joining the BBC animated series Sticky.
- Keith David will have a recurring role on ABC’s Marvel’s New Warriors.
- Jaina Lee Ortiz is going to star in the upcoming Grey’s Anatomy spinoff.
- Britt Robertson, formerly on Girl Boss, will be starring in the new Shondaland series, For the People.
- Li Jun Li is going to be in the second season of The Exorcist.
- Ana Isabelle is joining the cast of Big Dogs.
- Medina Senghore is going to be on Syfy’s Happy!
June Foray, voice of Rocky on The Bullwinkle Show.
Love Connection: For the first time in Love Connection history, they make a same sex love connection! 8 p.m., Fox
Stephen King’s It: So scary even for a miniseries! 10 p.m., Spike
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Samantha Bee visits for a mini-Daily Show reunion. 10:30 p.m., CBS
Late Night: Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Michael Strahan, Jill Kargman, Slayer Late Night with Seth Meyers: Tyra Banks, Kyle Mooney, OneRepublic, Brad Wilk The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Samantha Bee, Gillian Jacobs, Spoon The Late Late Show with James Corden: Matt Bomer, Niecy Nash, Brendan Gleeson, Julia Michaels The Daily Show: Masha Gessen Watch What Happens Live: Matt Bomer, Abby Elliott
|Battle of the Network Stars
|The Gong Show
|CBS||The Big Bang Theory
|Kevin Can Wait
|CW||Penn & Teller: Fool Us
|Hooten and the Lady
|NBC||America’s Got Talent
|The Night Shift