Have you ever heard what a baby sloth sounds like?
All Other TV News
HBO Max and HBO gained 3 million subscribers in the first quarter of 2022, so I guess we know where all those missing Netflix subscribers went.
Well, that didn’t last long: CNN+ is already being shut down after only two weeks. It will shutter at the end of the month. I suspect some of the programming will be saved on whatever form the HBO Max/Discovery+ merger is, but we’ll see.
After singing “Bad to the Bone,” it was revealed that the Jack-in-the-Box was actually America’s Disgraced Mayor, purveyor of dangerous lies, and architect of The Big Lie, Rudy Giuliani. Ken Jeong clearly looks disappointed and even nauseous at the reveal, and as Giuliani begins singing his song again, Ken Jeong announces “I’m done,” and walks off the stage while the cameras follow.
Rudy Giuliani unmasked on the Masked Singer pic.twitter.com/Uu1vNmVkPS
— Andru 💿 (@andrumarino) April 21, 2022
See? It’s all just a fun joke. The place where he pushed the conspiracy theories about the election that have poisoned our politics forever is just a fun clue on a fun show because nothing matters pic.twitter.com/thD8g1zib7
— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) April 21, 2022
Basically Ken Jeong has higher standards than much of the US political and legal system https://t.co/jQd9z5GnQ7
— Don Moynihan (@donmoyn) April 21, 2022
Much respect to Ken Jeong for simply walking away. You can't normalise corruption and sedition. https://t.co/S1uo3Yylx9
— DilanThampapillai (@TheDSingularity) April 21, 2022
Ken Jeong walking off wasnt a “crybaby move”
He’s a doctor, he’s Asian, he’s faced racism and harmful views pushed forward by the very guy who laughed and smiled with Jenny McCarthy (who was way too excited to see Giuliani)
It’s gross. Do better @MaskedSingerFOX
— neiman (@eneiman) April 21, 2022
Thank you @kenjeong for staying true to yourself- especially as a doctor who watched millions die with the help of this enabler. Seeing Jenny McCarthy and Nicole dancing and laughing was upsetting to say the least. The guy should be in jail, not a tv show
— Nicole Allison (@NikkiBB11) April 21, 2022
The toxic drive for TV ratings as a society, like this Rudy stunt, is also what brought us Trump.
— Eric Feigl-Ding (@DrEricDing) April 21, 2022
And you know, it’s frustrating, because by just covering it, I’m giving Fox exactly what they want: attention. They don’t care that Giuliani was one of the lead warriors in Former President Coup D’état’s attempts to steal the 2020 election — if anything that notoriety is exactly why they cast him; so that people like me and Ken Jeong would clutch our pearls and bring more eyeballs to the episode. (Which is exactly why they leaked the news back in February that Giuliani was going to be on the show.) The one upside I can report is that this episode was the lowest-rated of the season so far. Good. One can hope it will further discourage such dystopian shenanigans.
NeNe Leakes is suing NBCUniversal, Bravo, production companies True Entertainment and Truly Original, executives from those companies, and “Housewives” executive producer Andy Cohen, claiming that The Real Housewives of Atlanta fostered a hostile and racist working environment. What is interesting is that the majority of her complaints (if not all) stem from things said by Kim Zolciak-Biermann (who is white). However, Zolciak-Biermann is not herself named in the suit.
George R.R. Martin is a God-level troll.
This is cruel and malevolent on a level I can only respect. pic.twitter.com/ttbprmOEFe
— Tim Marchman (@timmarchman) April 20, 2022
That opening sequence on Better Call Saul with the movers was literally performed by a dance troupe. I guess kinda spoilery if you haven’t watched yet.
Sorta-related: Bryan Cranston is the godfather to Aaron Paul’s second baby. Congratulations to all!
There’s something depressing about the fact that awards shows have to specifically say out loud, “NO HITTING!” but I suppose that’s where we are now.
Netflix is having a rough week: The Wrap just reported that Phil Rynda, the head of animation, had been fired last week, projects are being canceled, there were allegations of “staged” data, and the creatives are not being supported. (The article is behind a paywall, so here’s an AV Club synopsis if you want to read it.)
Update on the Rust debacle: The New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau and Environmental Department is fining the production company nearly $140,000 for “plain indifference” towards firearm safety. Alec Baldwin’s team, and Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the film’s armorer, claim this exonerates them. A criminal investigation is still ongoing.
Tucker Carlson in the original Russian:
Meanwhile on Russian TV: more Tucker Carlson. I'm not transcribing his rant, because it sounds better in the original Russian. They let him ramble for ages, so I had to shorten the clip for Twitter. I'm translating the intro & some interesting comments at the end. #TuckyoRose pic.twitter.com/0eWOgaBAXz
— Julia Davis (@JuliaDavisNews) April 20, 2022
- Houses With History has been renewed for a second season on HGTV.
- Fellow Travelers, starring Matt Bomer, has been ordered at Showtime.
- Hijack, a drama starring and produced by Idris Elba, has been ordered at Apple TV+.
- It Takes Two is being adapted into a film at Prime Video.
- Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X will be the subjects of the next season of Genius on National Geographic.
- My Father’s Son, starring Chris “Comedian CP” Powell, is in development at HBO Max.
- Hungry for Answers, a Black food history show, is in the works at Discovery+.
- Sound of Christmas, starring Ne-Yo, has been ordered at BET.
- Ridley, a British crime drama, will be broadcast on PBS.
- Sago Mini Friends has been greenlit at Apple TV+.
- Taylor Cole has signed an overall deal with Hallmark Channel.
- Benjamin Bratt has joined the cast of Poker Face on Peacock.
- Ilana Glazer is in talks to star in The Suck at Prime Video.
- Erika Christensen will co-star in the ABC drama pilot Will Trent.
- Matilda Lawler has joined the cast of The Santa Clause on Disney+.
- Evangeline Young has joined the cast of The Son In Law pilot on ABC.
- Laci Mosley, Kiran Deol, and Kelly Park have joined NBC’s comedy pilot Lopez vs. Lopez.
- Brandon Larracuente and Savannah Welch have joined The Good Doctor on ABC.
- Nikki Rodriguez, Noah LaLonde, Ashby Gentry, Sarah Rafferty, Marc Blucas, Connor Stanhope, Johnny Link, Zoë Soul, Corey Fogelmanis, Jaylan Evan, Dean Petriw, Lennix James, Alix West Lefler, Alisha Newton, Ashley Tavares, Moheb Jindran, Ellie O’Brien, Mya Lowe, and Gabrielle Jacinto have been cast in My Life with the Walter Boys on Netflix.
- Strand Of Oaks (aka Timothy Showalter) joined the cast of Mayans M.C. on FX.
- Tom Cruise, Helen Mirren, and Damian Lewis will lead Queen Elizabeth’s Jubilee celebration on UTV.
Mark Your Calendars
- The Time Traveler’s Wife will premiere on HBO on May 15.
- Becoming Elizabeth will premiere on Starz on June 12.
- The Big Conn will premiere on Apple TV+ on May 6.
- The Challenge: All Stars will return on Paramount+ on May 11.
- Alone returns on The History Channel on May 26.
- The Old Man will premiere on June 16 on FX.
- The American Presidency with Bill Clinton will debut on The History Channel on May 30.
- Victoria’s Secret: Angels and Demons will air on Hulu on July 14.
- Fangoria Chainsaw Awards will air on Shudder on May 15.
Robert Morse, Tony-winning Broadway star and Mad Men‘s Bert Cooper
Ralph Kiser, Survivor: Redemption Island contestant
Mike Hopkins, CBS News director of special events and logistics
Hollis Resnik, Chicago theater actress
The Flight Attendant: Season two of the charmingly quirky thriller series. Give Rosie Perez an Emmy! HBO Max
Ghosts: Sam and Jay await their first B&B guest. Season finale. 8 p.m., CBS
A Very British Scandal: Claire Foy and Paul Bettany star in this new limited series about the scandalous divorce of Ian Douglas Campbell, 11th and 4th Duke of Argyll and his wife Margaret Whigham. Not to be confused with A Very English Scandal (but one of the same producers is involved). Premiere. Prime Video
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Presents: Jordan Klepper Fingers the Globe – Hungary for Democracy: Jordan Klepper goes to Hungary to try to figure out why so many American conservatives love this autocratic country. 10:30 p.m., Comedy Central
They Call Me Magic: The story of Magic Johnson, as approved by Magic Johnson. Series premiere. Apple TV+
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Pusha T
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Tiffany Haddish, Chloë Sevigny, a performance from “Company”, Aric Improta
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Jason Bateman, Laura Linney
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Nicolas Cage, Aaron Paul, Robert Winston
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Magic Johnson, Naomi Scott
- The Daily Show: Alexander Skarsgård
- Watch What Happens Live: Kaley Cuoco, Rosie Perez
|ABC||Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)
|United States of Al
|How We Roll
|Call Me Kat
|Welcome to Flatch
|NBC||Law & Order
|Law & Order: SVU
|Law & Order: Organized Crime