I love him.
All Other TV News
Hey, it looks like production on Game of Thrones prequel series, The Tales of Dunk and Egg, might be gearing up as Steve Conrad has been named as head writer. Conrad created Patriot (which comes back up later in this post) and Perpetual Grace, LTD. Of course, this is not the first Game of Thrones prequel series to be produced: House of Dragon is expected to premiere next year on HBO, and another series was scrapped after filming a pilot episode — so don’t count any dragons until they’re hatched.
Speaking of, in addition to yesterday’s story about George R.R. Martin being upset that Game of Thrones diverged from his vision, he apparently also would fly to New York to beg HBO to do 10 seasons. MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE SPENT MORE OF THAT TIME AT HOME, WRITING, GEORGE.
Hey, remember all the way back to yesterday when I was talking about how we don’t need more celebrities in politics? Yeah, Dr. Oz is running for U.S. Senate.
Here’s just a gold medal quote from David Appelbaum, the showrunner of La Brea: “We don’t want to waste too much time in the minutia of how did this happen and how did that happen.” OH NO? YOU DON’T WANT TO WORRY ABOUT DETAILS? BOY, NO ONE COULD TELL.
The Gotham Awards are the first awards ceremony to give Squid Game a prize, but it probably won’t be the last. Other winners include Reservation Dogs and The Lost Daughter.
Reddit is discussing which TV show you wanted to get into but just couldn’t do it. For me, there have been many, but The Man in the High Castle is one that immediately comes to mind. Patriot, Nurse Ratched, and Dexter are others. And, of course, EVERY GODDAMNED SINGLE SEASON OF AMERICAN HORROR STORY. Which are yours?
This is a weird piece of TV history: back in 1977, someone broke into a live broadcast on the UK’s ITV to deliver an alien message — as in a message from an alien. The whole thing is over five minutes long so if you don’t have time to watch the whole thing, head over to BoingBoing for a transcript.
After denying that he used his position as a CNN personality to shape the story about his brother Governor Andrew Cuomo harassing women, NY State Attorney General Letitia James released a whole bunch of documents that suggest that Chris Cuomo did EXACTLY THAT. Working in conjunction with one of his brother’s top aides, Cuomo apparently used his media contacts to dig up information on the accusers and how the story was advancing on other outlets. CNN says they are investigating the documents.
Marilyn Manson’s home was raided by the cops yesterday in relation to the sexual assault allegations against him.
The prosecutors in the Bill Cosby case are asking the Supreme Court to reinstate his conviction, claiming it was overturned based on nothing but a press release. (It’s unlikely it’s going to happen, so don’t get your hopes up.)
Anthony Broadwater, the man convicted of raping author Alice Sebold, has had his conviction overturned. Sebold had reportedly been tricked by prosecutors to identify Broadwater after initially identifying another man in a lineup.
The conviction was overturned after attorneys for Broadwater argued that the case against their client was seriously flawed. Broadwater had been found guilty, they said, based entirely on a now-discredited method of identification through microscopic hair analysis, and on Sebold’s in-court identification of Broadwater. The author had initially identified another man in a police lineup, changing her mind only after the original prosecutors untruthfully told her that Broadwater and the misidentified man had purposely tried to trick and confuse her, The New York Times reports.
Sebold went on to write about the rape in her memoir Lucky which was set to be turned into a Netflix film. However, Tim Mucciante, a producer on the film started doing his own investigating into the case when he noticed discrepancies between Sebold’s memoir and the script. Mucciante hired a private investigator who eventually got in touch with Broadwater’s attorney, and through their efforts, the conviction was thrown out. It was also the reason the financing for the film eventually fell through months ago.
"This never should've happened."
The #Syracuse rape conviction at the heart of Alice Sebold’s memoir was thrown out.
— Katrina Tulloch (@katrinatulloch) November 22, 2021
Conservative MP Nick Fletcher says Doctor Who being played by a woman has pushed young men into crime. pic.twitter.com/08rFuCtmgS
— Adam Bienkov (@AdamBienkov) November 25, 2021
Which … just … let’s break this down. Because by this logic, wouldn’t young women have been committing crimes for decades — if not centuries now — after not having seen any heroic female role models until fairly recently? Also, are men really that fragile that one or two gender-swapped heroes make them go on crime rampages? Really now.
And Scott Yenor, a professor at Boise State University, thinks that women should be prevented from becoming engineers, doctors, lawyers, or entering any trade. Cooooool. Hey, guys? What’s going on with men?
- Chucky has been renewed for season two at Syfy and USA.
- The Outlaws has been renewed for a second season ahead of its premiere on Amazon.
- Men in Kilts has been renewed for a second season on Starz.
- Pen15 will end after season two on Hulu.
- Magic Mike’s Last Dance, the third Magic Mike movie, is in the works at HBO Max.
- Aunties, a comedy from Amber Ruffin and Seth Meyers, has been given a put pilot order at NBC.
- The Abandons, a western from Kurt Sutter, is in the works at Netflix.
- Send Help, a dark comedy, is being developed at ALLBLK.
- Netflix has commissioned five UK series: Supacell; One Day; Eric; The Fuck It Bucket; and Kaos.
- A TV series and movie about Swedish pop group Gyllene Tider are in the works.
- Jennifer Aniston, Gabrielle Union, Kathryn Hahn, and Allison Tolman will star in Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Facts of Life on ABC, and y’all, this is the single most Gen-X thing EVER. I am dying.
- Ivanna Sakhno will co-star in Star Wars: Ahsoka on Disney+.
- Miley Cyrus and Pete Davidson are going to host NBC’s New Year’s Eve show.
- Donal Logue and Ari’el Stachel are returning to Law & Order: SVU on NBC.
Mark Your Calendars
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel will return on Amazon on February 18.
- Judge Steve Harvey will debut on ABC on January 4.
- Dead Asleep will premiere on Hulu on December 16.
- Black Market will debut on Vice on January 10.
- Nicole Byer: BBW (Big Beautiful Weirdo) will premiere on Netflix on December 7.
- For Auld Lang Syne will debut on Apple TV+ on December 10.
- The Hungry and the Hairy will premiere on Netflix on December 11.
- To Live and Die in Alabama will premiere on Hulu on December 3.
- Alex vs America will premiere on Food Network on January 2.
- Now Tonight with Joshua Johnson will premiere on NBC Now on December 6.
Arlene Dahl, Actress most famous for starring in Journey to the Center of the Earth, also had television roles on One Life to Live, All My Children, and Fantasy Island among others; also mother to actor Lorenzo Lamas.
La Brea: It’s the season finale for this stupid show, and now my watch is done. 8 p.m., NBC
Superstar: George Michael: A look at the life of pop genius George Michael. 9 p.m., ABC
Mo Amer: Mohammed in Texas: Houston comedian Mo Amer gets his first Netflix stand-up special filmed here in his hometown. Netflix
The Bachelorette: The dreaded hometowns actually go home this season. 7 p.m., ABC
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Rita Moreno, Nicholas Braun, Dusty Slay
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Peter Dinklage, Lee Jung-Jae, Aaron & Bryce Dessner
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Kristin Chenoweth, Kal Penn
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Billy Crystal, Jay Ellis
- The Daily Show: Natalie & Derrica Wilson
- Watch What Happens Live: J. Smith-Cameron, Harry Hamlin
|FBI: Most Wanted
|Our Kind of People