It’s Monday and this is a swan who is in love with a small boy:
Me wee brother goes down to Santry Park every few days and feeds a Swan, this has been going on for a month or two now and the same Swan comes straight over whenever he shows up. They're best friends, it's the cutest thing I've ever seen. pic.twitter.com/5ouvYIkF1Z
— Jordon (@JTBreathnach) April 4, 2021
The MLB has pulled the All-Star Game out of Georgia in response to the state’s voter suppression bill, and as you might imagine, some people are having hissy fits about it. Our own dumb governor, for instance, has declined the invitation to throw out the opening pitch at a Texas Rangers game in protest.
Gov Abbott cancels public appearance to protest cancelation protest. https://t.co/OlYNgc8vzj
— Gene Wu (@GeneforTexas) April 5, 2021
Here’s a detailed analysis of what the Georgia bill does. Like I have written before, while the provision prohibiting people from giving water and food to voters in line has received most of the attention for its inhumanity, it’s the part where the Legislature can suspend county election officials and gave itself more control over the State Election Board that is truly alarming. These new parts of the law gives the Legislature more control of the outcomes of elections and the ability to toss out votes if they disagree with them.
And it is important to emphasize that this bill — like the one that is rapidly going through the Texas legislature — is predicated on The Big Lie, that the 2020 election was stolen from Former President Methane Breath. It wasn’t. Georgia’s election, as sworn by its Republican Secretary of State himself, was fair, and uncompromised. It just didn’t turn out the way the Republicans wanted, so they’re gaming the system.
Meanwhile, New Jersey is offering itself as an alternative to Georgia if studios want someplace not voter supressivey to film. And they won’t be the last state to do so.
Game of Thrones is celebrating their “Iron Anniversary,” the 10th anniversary of the premiere of the series with a monthlong celebration. As part of the Iron Anniversary, they will be launching a — forgive me — “MaraThrone” of Game of Thrones on HBO2, beginning April 10. I, shamefully, will be unable to resist watching at least some part of it.
Ryan Murphy has a question for you:
The AMERICAN HORROR STORY universe is expanding. Comment on which STORY you would like to see the most:
2) Xmas HORROR
3) BLOODY MARY
4) PIGGY MAN
6) PLAGUE#ahsfx #AHS10 #AHSDoubleFeature #ahs pic.twitter.com/6NxY6mXjyx
— Ryan Murphy (@MrRPMurphy) April 2, 2021
The Friends reunion that everyone is so worked up about for no good Goddamned reason is set to film this week, according to David Schwimmer.
The SAG Awards were last night, and surprise surprise, The Crown and Schitt’s Creek were big winners.
Two very different takes on René-Jean Page’s departure from Bridgerton:
No, @regejean! You CANNOT leave me like that. I WILL NOT have it! @bridgerton!!!!!!
— Dionne Warwick (@dionnewarwick) April 3, 2021
I guess I need to call Lady Whistledown myself…
— Dionne Warwick (@dionnewarwick) April 3, 2021
I demand a retraction, @bridgerton!!!! I need to hear this news straight from @regejean if this is true. 😒😒😒😒 pic.twitter.com/vVrq3cmFFT
— Dionne Warwick (@dionnewarwick) April 3, 2021
"It is actually perfectly in his character to start something he doesn't finish." #Bridgerton fan John Oliver ripped Regé-Jean Page's Simon Bassett while explaining the national debt on #LastWeekTonight: https://t.co/0uq7q2qBRo pic.twitter.com/f0hhO8dgnP
— Decider (@decider) April 5, 2021
Star Trek: Enterprise nearly deprived all of us of Jeffrey Dean Morgan.
CBS has been sued by the people who bought the company that packaged the original MacGyver, claiming that the new MacGyver is a “spin-off” of the original series, and therefore they are entitled to some profits. CBS is all, “It’s a REMAKE, not a SPIN-OFF, so we owe you NOTHING.” I guess we’ll see.
Space Jam 2 is coming to theaters and HBO Max soon (see the trailer below), and bless them, Warner Brothers preserved the original Space Jam website from 1996.
I know I’m late for April Fool’s Day, but Conan O’Brien’s college prank is too genius to not share:
this conan o'brien prank remains the best prank i've ever heard about pic.twitter.com/UlK1alK8nA
— Jack Hamilton (@jack_hamilton) April 1, 2021
May God bless the Dog (DMX). Praying for him as I have just heard the terrible news. pic.twitter.com/EZze1zRSK3
— Killer Mike (@KillerMike) April 3, 2021
Prayers for DMX and his family🙏🏾💜 pic.twitter.com/NhKIx0aAyj
— Missy Elliott (@MissyElliott) April 3, 2021
Some wonderful news: We recorded 277 deaths from COVID yesterday, the lowest number since March 23, 2020. It’s almost as if vaccines work or something. One caveat: this was a Sunday number, and all of the COVID numbers are lower on the weekends, but it’s still a hugely positive sign considering at our worst high, we recorded 4,327 deaths in one day.
We also hit a new high in the number of vaccinations administered this weekend: 4,081,959. That’s incredible. Get that shot as soon as you can.
Here’s Mariah Carey getting hers:
Mariah Carey hits a G6 note as she gets her COVID-19 vaccine. pic.twitter.com/Buej0TkyrU
— Pop Base (@PopBase) April 4, 2021
What are we going to do about the millions — MILLIONS — of white evangelicals who are refusing to get vaccinated?
Even the Easter Bunny knows to wear a mask.
A masked Easter bunny makes an appearance at the White House! pic.twitter.com/uxXD3Iriqk
— Maegan Vazquez (@maeganvaz) April 5, 2021
California is going to allow indoor concerts and theater performances beginning April 15 — but to attend you have to show proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID test.
And over in New York City, Jerry Seinfeld performed at a reopened comedy club this weekend.
India’s COVID situation is out of control: they recorded over 100,000 cases in one day, making it only the second country (after us) to hit that mark. In fact, on the set of an Amazon movie, Ram Setu, the star, Akshay Kumar has been hospitalized and 45 members of the crew (!) have tested positive. 45 seems like a lot!
Holy shit: In London, a man spit in the face of a railway ticket agent’s face, and she contracted COVID and died two weeks later. However, the man is not being charged and the police is protecting his identity so that her family can’t sue him. Gross.
Over in Disney World, a man was arrested after refusing to take a temperature check. GOOD. MORE LIKE THIS, PLEASE.
The CDC has announced that cruise passengers should — but won’t have to — get the vaccine, mostly to avoid conflict with the stupidest state in our country, Florida, who has prohibited businesses from making customers prove they’ve been vaccinated. Fun fact about me: my husband is a lawyer who is representing a cruise company that you have certainly heard of in upwards of 80 lawsuits stemming from the COVID crisis. And this is my opinion, not his, but Florida and the CDC really should have run both of these decisions by the lawyers first.
Warming Glow has a decent think piece on how the virus has been handled on TV and What It All Means.
- The Right Stuff has been canceled by Disney+ after one season, but Warner Bros. Television is shopping it around.
- Guy Fieri is sticking with the Food Network for at least three more years.
- Cameron Mathison is joining the cast of General Hospital. (YAY! I hope they bring back Rebecca Budig for another All My Children reunion.)
- Cush Jumbo and Delroy Lindo will return to The Good Fight as guest stars in the fifth season.
- Shelley Conn and Calam Lynch are joining Bridgerton on Netflix.
- Nicholas Burton and Aaron Jeffery have joined the cast of Pieces of Her on Netflix.
- Lexa Doig has been added to the cast of Chucky on Syfy.
Mark Your Calendar
- Loki will debut on Disney+ on June 11.
- Space Jam 2 will premiere on HBO Max and in theaters on July 18.
- The Walking Dead will return for its final season on August 22.
- Selena: The Series (Part 2) will stream on Netflix on May 4.
- George Segal’s final episode of The Goldbergs will air on Wednesday.
- On the Spectrum will debut on HBO Max soon.
- Archibald’s Next Big Thing Is Here! will premiere on Peacock on April 22.
- Go! Go! Cory Carson will premiere on Netflix Jr. on April 27.
- Ajeeb Daastaans will debut on Netflix on April 16.
- Gutfeld! premieres on Fox News tonight.
- Inside the Tower of London premieres on Smithsonian Channel tonight.
- Panic will debut on Amazon on May 28.
- The Bad Seed will stream on Sundance Now and AMC+ on April 29.
- Citizen Penn will debut on Discovery+ on May 6.
- Discovery+ has announced their true-crime offerings for the weeks of April 12 &19.
Gloria Henry, Actress known for playing Alice Mitchell, mother of Dennis on Dennis the Menace
Linda Torres, Star of Big Ang and Mob Wives
Owen Simon, PR executive who created campaigns for The Mike Douglas Show and The Merv Griffin Show among others
Arthur Kopit, Pulitzer-nominated playwright
William “Biff” McGuire, Broadway actor
B.B. Dickerson, Founding member of the band War
NCAA Basketball: It’s the big final sportsball game that everyone is so worked up about. 7:30 p.m., CBS
Hemingway: A Writer: Ernest Hemingway gets the Ken Burns treatment in this new docuseries. Series premiere. 7 p.m., PBS
Family Reunion: Season premiere. Netflix
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Milo Ventimiglia, the Lucas Brothers, Kali Uchis
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: John Cena, Sen. Tammy Duckworth
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Bob Odenkirk, the Fratellis
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: David Alan Grier, Topher Grace, All Time Low
- The Daily Show: The Daily Social Distancing Show
- Conan: Will Forte
- Watch What Happens Live: Daisy Kelliher, Jean-Luc Cerza Lanaux
- A Little Late with Lily Singh: Tig Notaro
|The Good Doctor
|CW||Superman & Lois
|America’s Most Wanted