It’s Thursday? I think? Maybe? Can someone confirm? As if our sense of time hadn’t already been turned upside down, now this winter storm comes and freezes my brain, along with everything else.
But at least this guy likes the snow:
Ted Cruz, man.
As I am sure you’ve heard by now, while our state is in complete fucking chaos — power outages, water outages, food shortages, people dying in fires, dying from carbon monoxide poisoning, freezing to death ALL WHILE A GLOBAL PANDEMIC IS ALSO KILLING THOUSANDS OF US — our illustrious junior senator decided this was the perfect time for a little Mexican vaycay.
Just confirmed @SenTedCruz and his family flew to Cancun tonight for a few days at a resort they've visited before. Cruz seems to believe there isn't much for him to do in Texas for the millions of fellow Texans who remain without electricity/water and are literally freezing. pic.twitter.com/6nPiVWtdxe
— David Shuster (@DavidShuster) February 18, 2021
This aged like fine wine:
Hypocrites. Complete and utter hypocrites.
And don't forget @MayorAdler who took a private jet with eight people to Cabo and WHILE IN CABO recorded a video telling Austinites to "stay home if you can…this is not the time to relax." pic.twitter.com/KSvkiwxgga
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) December 2, 2020
As you can imagine, this was not exactly warmly received here or anywhere, honestly, and people spent the morning dunking on “Flyin’ Ted.”
Ted Cruz is going Cancun to get acclimated to the heat he will be experiencing in hell
— Krissie 🍑 (@KrissieTX) February 18, 2021
I think @SenTedCruz is desperately trying to rebrand from the “inspired a deadly insurrection” motherfucker to the “left my constituents to freeze to death so I could go to Cancun” motherfucker, but luckily he can be both. He’s just that big a motherfucker.
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) February 18, 2021
Yo, Houston – if you need a place to warm up today, Ted Cruz's house is empty.
— Blue Heron Farm (@BlueHeronFarmTX) February 18, 2021
If Sen. Cruz had resigned back in January after helping gin up a violent insurrection that killed several people, he could’ve taken his vacation in peace. Texans should continue to demand his resignation.
But don’t blame me for this, my points are on Amtrak! 🚊 https://t.co/CAWCgtxQ73
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) February 18, 2021
The flight attendant on Ted Cruz’s flight to Mexico: pic.twitter.com/m35VDaxLYN
— Ben Yahr (@benyahr) February 18, 2021
— RJ Dralle (@rjdralle) February 18, 2021
Texas experiencing a horrible power crisis.
Ted Cruz: pic.twitter.com/j11FzYsZTX
— Todd is Tossing a Coin to Your Witcher (@toddnosebest) February 18, 2021
Ted Cruz arrives back in Texas from his vacation in Cancun: pic.twitter.com/BJp9vqwAVH
— Roshan Rinaldi (@Roshan_Rinaldi) February 18, 2021
To bring Ted Cruz up to speed on what exactly is happening in his state as he jaunts off to Cancun:
My 80 year old grandmother slept with the heat on in her car so that she didn’t risk catching covid by staying with family when the heat and power went out in her home. pic.twitter.com/68bdcyPYQZ
— Tayhlor Coleman (@tayhlorcoleman) February 18, 2021
So, then the Right’s narrative was, “Well, Ted isn’t a Texas official, what’s he going to do by sticking around Texas?” and, even more hilariously, “Actually, he’s a hero for leaving the state.” I’m not even kidding.
— PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 (@patriottakes) February 18, 2021
— Richard Marx (@richardmarx) February 18, 2021
Statement from Director of Communications for Sen. Ted Cruz pic.twitter.com/5cXIkTTZiW
— blaire erskine (@blaireerskine) February 18, 2021
First of all, as these former Congressional staffers — one of John Cornyn’s, in fact — attest, a Congressperson is in a unique position to help when their state is in a crisis:
Thread. I worked the graveyard shift for Sen. Cornyn during Hurricane Ike and can attest that a natural disaster back home can/should be among the busiest and most effective moments for a Senator. https://t.co/y5HC0pqMaR
— Holt Lackey (@HoltMLackey) February 18, 2021
In most situations, members of Congress are legislators, not executives. But in local emergencies, they often take on a role that mimics executive decision-making, as they become a federal coordinator / POC for local executives.
— Matt Glassman (@MattGlassman312) February 18, 2021
It's sort of like their normal casework load, but on steroids and short notice. There's a reason members are glued to their phones and don't sleep when a natural disaster hits their district, and it's emphatically *not* so they can show their constituents how hard they work.
— Matt Glassman (@MattGlassman312) February 18, 2021
through his office and campaign, ted cruz has thousands of contacts across the state and direct access to the kinds of people who can help organize and deliver relief. for someone who isn’t in the texas government itself, he is uniquely positioned to help. https://t.co/djnndcI0MS
— b-boy bouiebaisse (@jbouie) February 18, 2021
But second of all, Cruz then undermined this argument by booking a flight home for this afternoon and claiming that it was his plan all along to fly his wife and daughter to Mexico and then turn around and fly home today. Yeah, he booked that flight home this morning:
Spoke to a source at United Airlines, Senator Ted Cruz rebooked his flight back to Houston from Cancun for this afternoon at around 6 a.m. today (Thursday). He was originally scheduled to return on Saturday.https://t.co/QV9xgibIQ9
— Edward Russell (@ByERussell) February 18, 2021
If Ted Cruz were an ordinary dude, and he did a Mexico roundtrip in less than 17 hours, the DEA would be waiting on his lawn when he got home.
— Charles P. Pierce (@CharlesPPierce) February 18, 2021
And as for that argument that he was thinking of others by not using up precious resources:
Breaking. NBC News confirms: The Houston Police Department confirmed to NBC that Ted Cruz's staff contacted them on Wednesday afternoon to assist him in his arrival and movements through Houston's international airport. https://t.co/7Roksb017h
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) February 18, 2021
Cruz then put out a statement about the trip placing the blame squarely on the shoulders of his young daughters:
Sen. Ted Cruz in a new statement attributes his Cancun trip to “wanting to be a good dad” to his girls — while Texans were without heat, water and power. pic.twitter.com/eIYQ2Gbgf6
— Geoff Bennett (@GeoffRBennett) February 18, 2021
Wanting to be a good dad I may have somewhat overpacked pic.twitter.com/8fYWPmGykS
— Patrick Radden Keefe (@praddenkeefe) February 18, 2021
Meanwhile, you know who didn’t abandon us even though we didn’t vote for him for some GODDAMNED REASON?
We made over 151,000 calls to senior citizens in Texas tonight. One of our vols talked to a man stranded at home w/out power in Killeen, hadn’t eaten in 2 days, got him a ride to a warming center and a hot meal. Help us reach more people, join us tomorrow: https://t.co/WOLn2HCrm1
— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) February 18, 2021
Don’t blame me. I voted for Beto. And M.J. Hagar. And Lupe Valdez. And Mike Collier. And Sima Ladjevardian. And so did millions of other Texans.
In actually good news, Rush Limbaugh is very dead and I hope you notice I did not include him in my “R.I.P.” section because I don’t want him to rest in peace. I want him to spend eternity suffering. And I know, there’s a lot of hand-wringing going on about the proprieties of dancing on someone’s grave, but LOL, I don’t give a fuck. He was a poison, a cancer on our national conversation, who not just gave permission to people to embrace their worst, most hateful inclinations but actually introduced those thoughts in the first place.
“Feminazi,” “Barack the Magic Negro,” spreading the Big Lie, calling COVID basically a cold, calling Sandra Fluke a “slut” and “prostitute” for advocating for contraception, telling a Black caller to “take that bone out of your nose and call me back,” accusing the Left of the Christchurch massacre and Charlottesville and causing Deepwater Horizon, denying climate change, mocking Michael J. Fox for having Parkinson’s Disease, and perhaps the most reprehensible act of a reprehensible career, his “AIDS Update,” in which he would read out the names of gay people who had died of AIDS while playing songs like “Back in the Saddle Again,” “Kiss Him Goodbye,” “I Know I’ll Never Love This Way Again” and “Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places,” and saying, “Gays deserved their fate.”
Rush Limbaugh had a regular radio segment where he would read off the names of gay people who died of AIDS and celebrate it and play horns and bells and stuff.
— Paul Elliott Johnson (@RhetoricPJ) February 17, 2021
As a proud Feminazi who uses contraception, voted for Barack Obama twice, whose father has Parkinson’s Disease and whose son is gay, all I can say is rot in Hell, you fucking monster.
In other stories that I had to push pause on: Gina Carano and The Mandalorian business. Disney has announced that there are no plans to recast her character, which is honestly for the best. There is room for more than one badass female character in the series. Her character Cara Dune was rumored to be the lead in one of the gagillion new series Disney announced in December, but Disney is all, “Nah, it’s not like that.”
Meanwhile, conservatives are petitioning Disney to bring her back (lol, nope) and Carano has a lot to say about the matter. She announced she’s making a movie with that jackass Ben Shapiro and his conservative website The Daily Caller. Sounds great! She also revealed that Disney asked her to apologize after her first run-in with controversy when she made light of pronoun issues, but she refused to, so they barred her from doing press for season two. Which ONLY MAKES SENSE, because had she been doing press, the only thing people would have asked her about was being a transphobe and Disney’s entire press campaign for the series would be derailed, but sure, this is “cancel culture.”
But you know who’s laughing? Disney, who now has more than 95 million subscribers to Disney+.
One of the other big stories that broke while I was freezing in my own home was that Claudia Conway auditioned for American Idol on Sunday and SPOILER ALERT: she got a ticket to Hollywood. Which, great for her. But the whole thing is so cringey, what with her mother, that desiccated monster Kellyanne, playing the supportive mother, and George Conway wiping away tears. The show does touch upon the drama we have all been forced to bear witness to with this family over the past year — Katy Perry opens Claudia’s audition by asking her if she’s okay, for chrissakes — but we’re all just going to pretend that Kellyanne didn’t post topless photos of Claudia on Twitter a few weeks ago?
Look, it’s fine that Claudia auditioned and did well enough to move on to the next stage. But it really feels exploitative on ABC’s part to include her parents so prominently in this package, especially in the wake of all of the abuse allegations. Let’s not whitewash the Conways, please.
— Soledad O'Brien (@soledadobrien) February 15, 2021
Katy Perry saying “honey, you’re not going to DC, you’re going to Hollywood!” to Claudia Conway on American Idol at the conclusion of her audition is almost dystopian at this point
— maddie (@sadgurlnextdoor) February 15, 2021
If you don’t have Netflix — wait, who doesn’t have Netflix? — you can stream The Trial of the Chicago 7 for free for the next 48 hours as tribute to the anniversary of the trial verdict.
The Undoing was HBO’s most-watched show of 2020, and a bigger hit than both seasons of Big Little Lies.
Here’s who won The Masked Dancer if you were shivering in the dark and missed the finale. And The Masked Singer has revealed five costumes for the upcoming season. Um, “Monster Grandpa” sounds like someone who should be on a registry somewhere, Fox.
Oh lord, Teresa Giudice has bought a ridiculously expensive mansion with this new boyfriend. GIRL, NOT A GREAT IDEA.
By Worldometer’s numbers, we have surpassed 500,000 American deaths from this virus. By Johns Hopkins’ count, we should surpass 500,000 Americans dead sometime in the next five days or so. It’s so horrific, life expectancy has dropped in this country. But the good news is, the number of vaccines being administered continues to go up (though this winter storm has slowed the process down a bit).
WH says they inherited no vaccine distribution plan.
Now, @PressSec says Biden admin has increased amount of weekly vaccine doses going to states to 13.5M a week– a 57% increase since Jan 20. Biden admin is also doubling supply to pharmacies: 2M doses going to them this week.
— Yamiche Alcindor (@Yamiche) February 16, 2021
And then there is this piece of shit, who is giving special access to the vaccine to his donors and threatening to pull vaccines from communities who criticize him. How is there possibly talk about this guy becoming a national Republican figure?
These photos from a funeral home coping with COVID are harrowing and heart-breaking.
An Israeli nonprofit that funds and advocates breakthroughs in science, the Dan David Foundation, has awarded Dr. Fauci a million-dollar prize for “courageously defending science in the face of uninformed opposition during the challenging COVID crisis.”
Matt Gutman, an ABC national correspondent was suspended for violating COVID policy by going into a hospital for a story without getting permission first.
When the Golden Globes air at the end of this month, presenters will be in person with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Unsure how the awards will be given remotely … maybe these guys will be sent out again?
Snooki caught the virus. STAY AWAY FROM GOOP, SNOOKI.
In the event you emerge from your frozen house and travel again, here are some good tips on how to deal with your fellow passengers who are not following COVID safety rules.
- The Neighborhood and Bob ♥ Abishola have been renewed at CBS for a fourth and third season respectively.
- Creepshow has been renewed for a third season on Shudder.
- Fate: The Winx Saga has been renewed for a second season on Netflix.
- Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai has been renewed for a second season at HBO max ahead of its premiere. They have also renewed Tiny Toons Looniversity.
- PAW Patrol, Blue’s Clues & You, and Santiago of the Seas have been renewed at Nickelodeon.
- The Bay has been renewed for a third season at ITV.
- Mom will end after this eighth season on CBS.
- NCIS: New Orleans will end after this seventh season on CBS.
- Truth Seekers has been canceled at Amazon after one season.
- A Mr. and Mrs. Smith series starring Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridges is coming to Amazon. BE STILL MY HEART. It’s part of a huge deal Glover has signed with Amazon, and he’s bringing Malia Obama on as a writer.
- An NCIS: Hawaii is very nearly a done deal at CBS. And honestly, this is only surprising that it hasn’t already happened. Soon, all of CBS’s shows will be set in Hawaii and WHO COULD BLAME THEM?
- Bucktown, a family comedy from the creators of The Conners, has been given a pilot order at ABC. Comedies Kids Matter Now and Work Wife are not moving forward, however.
- The Wonder Girl series is not moving forward at The CW.
- Prince Wawa, an animated series is in development at Fox.
- Harrity Elementary, a comedy from Quinta Brunson, is being turned into a pilot at ABC.
- The Real Housewives of Miami is coming back, but will air on Peacock.
- Peacock has also announced a bunch of new series; a Craig Robinson comedy series; Ex Rated, an Andy Cohen-hosted dating series; Michael Phelps: Medals, Memories & More; and Bust Down, a Lorne Michaels-produced comedy.
- A series centered on Wednesday Addams is being made by Tim Burton at Netflix.
- Constantine is being rebooted by J.J. Abrams at HBO Max.
- Another Britney Spears documentary is being made at Netflix.
- There are eight (8) projects about GameStop being made right now. That is completely insane.
- Fox News is doubling down on Tucker Carlson. Gross.
- Regé-Jean Page will host Saturday Night Live this weekend.
- Whoopi Goldberg and Jasmine Guy have been cast in Harlem, a comedy being developed at Amazon.
- Ruth Negga will star as Josephine Baker in the limited series Josephine on ABC.
- Carrie Preston has joined the cast of Dr. Death on Peacock.
- Paula Newsome, Matt Lauria, and Mel Rodriguez have been cast in the revival of CSI on CBS.
- Adam Ray and Kevin Makely have been added to the cast of Young Rock on NBC as Vince McMahon and “Macho Man” Randy Savage respectively.
- Holt McCallany and Killian Scott have been added to the cast of courtroom drama 61st Street.
Mark Your Calendars
- Zac Snyder’s Justice League will stream on HBO Max on March 18.
- Allen v. Farrow will air on HBO on February 21.
- Fear the Walking Dead will return on AMC on April 11.
- Home Economics will premiere on ABC on April 7.
- Girls5Eva will premiere on Peacock sometime later this year.
- America’s Most Wanted returns on Fox on March 15.
- Mare of Easttown will air on HBO on April 18.
- Biggie: I Got a Story to Tell will debut on Netflix on March 1.
- Demi Lovato: Dancing with the Devil will premiere on YouTube on March 18.
- The Block Island Sound will premiere on Netflix on March 11.
- For Real: The Story of Reality TV will debut on E! on March 25.
- Nightwatch will return on A&E on March 25.
- Boss Level will debut on Hulu on March 5.
- The Lost Pirate Kingdom will premiere on Netflix on March 15.
- RuPaul’s Drag Race: Corona Can’t Keep a Good Queen Down will air on VH1 on February 26.
- Lucky will begin streaming on Shudder on March 4.
- John Wayne Gacy: Devil In Disguise will stream on Peacock on March 25.
- Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special will air on CBS on March 7.
- Us Again will premiere on Disney+ in June.
Christopher Pennock, Actor on Dark Shadows, General Hospital, The Young and the Restless, Guiding Light, Days of Our Lives, Cannon, The Love Boat, Cagney & Lacey, Melrose Place, Simon & Simon, Dynasty, The A-Team, Silk Stalkings, Baywatch among others
Harry Bring, Producer on The X-Files, Criminal Minds, and Army Wives, among others
Ari Gold, Musical artist who collaborated with RuPaul’s Drag Race
Richard Bracken, Emmy-nominated film and television editor
Johnny Pacheco, Salsa bandleader
Brayden Smith, Five-time champion on Jeopardy! (The last five-time champion during Alex Trebek’s era.)
It’s a Sin: In this five-part miniseries set in the eighties, a group of gay men and their friends live through the HIV crisis in the U.K. Series premiere. HBO Max
Tell Me Your Secrets: Lily Rabe stars in this thriller about three characters who are connected through dark, troubling pasts. Series premiere. Amazon
The Widower: Dateline examines the strange case of Thomas Randolph, an eccentric Las Vegas man who was accused of murdering at least one of his six wives (four of whom ended up dead) and the hitman he hired to kill her. (It’s a three-part series that will run tonight, Friday, and Saturday.) 9 p.m., NBC
Your Attention Please: The Concert: Craig Robinson hosts this virtual concert featuring performances by 24kGoldn, Joy Oladokun, Kiana Ledé, Lil Yachty, and Swae Lee. 7 p.m., Hulu
For All Mankind: Season two. Apple TV+
- The Daily Show: The Daily Social Distancing Show
- Watch What Happens Live: Kyle Cooke, Amanda Batula
- A Little Late with Lily Singh: Lily Rabe
|ABC||Celebrity Wheel of Fortune
|Call Me Kat
|Last Man Standing
|Law & Order Special Victims Unit
|Dateline: The Widower|