Today is Thursday, and it is 12 days until Election Day. Have you voted yet? If you haven’t and are living here in Texas, I urge you to read this.
This is the greatest thing I’ve seen all day. pic.twitter.com/nEhTAN5X7U
— Rebecca Shabad (@RebeccaShabad) October 22, 2020
Tonight is the final presidential debate, so I’m sure we’ll have PLENTY to talk about then.
Meanwhile, there’s obviously a ton of other stuff going on: President Obama gave a stirring speech in Philadelphia yesterday and pointed out the obvious:
Obama in Philadelphia: "[Trump]'s got a secret Chinese bank account … Can you imagine if I had secret Chinese bank account when I was running for reelection?! … They would've called me Beijing Barry.” pic.twitter.com/8BxUQ81DhF
— The Recount (@therecount) October 21, 2020
The highly partisan Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe held a press conference yesterday where he claimed Russia (!) and Iran — but mostly Iran — are interfering in our election. Iran in particular, according to Ratcliffe, was behind a bunch of emails sent out to voters in a few states, claiming to be the Proud Boys, and threatening the recipient with violence if they didn’t vote for President Tan Mom. Ratcliffe explained — with a straight fucking face — that these were efforts to hurt President Collusion’s election chances.
Breaking News: Iran and Russia got U.S. voter registration data, which Tehran used to send threatening emails in an effort to influence the election, officials said.https://t.co/N9U1fuVQBN
— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 22, 2020
And a report came out suggesting that President I Need Loyalty wants to fire the FBI Director Chris Wray as soon as we get past the election because Wray won’t announce bogus investigations into the Bidens to help President Cockknuckle’s election chances.
President Trump is reportedly considering firing FBI Director Chris Wray because Wray won't announce that Joe and Hunter Biden are under investigation.
"Trump wants official action similar to" Comey's last-minute Clinton emails announcement in 2016.https://t.co/j8nF7AFVht
— Eric Geller (@ericgeller) October 22, 2020
But, barring any more revelations from a Borat movie, today’s big dumb news is that President Narcissistic Injury went ahead and released the White House’s footage of his interview with Leslie Stahl of 60 Minutes in an attempt to 1. shape the narrative about the interview 2. hurt 60 Minutes’ ratings when it airs it on Sunday and 3. distract from the newly revealed fact that he has a mysterious Chinese bank account (on top of EVERYTHING ELSE).
BIAS! HATRED! RUDENESS!
This is how the interview begins. Remember, President Coward actually thinks this makes him look good:
How the raw 60 Minutes tape posted by Trump begins:
Stahl: You ready for tough questions?
Trump: Just be fair.
Stahl: Last time you were like bring it on.
Trump: "No, I'm not looking for that."
Stahl: "…But you're OK with some tough questions?"
Trump: "No, I'm not."
— Daniel Dale (@ddale8) October 22, 2020
Stahl calmly but firmly pressed him on the economy, health care, his plans for his second term, his falling popularity with women, calling Dr. Fauci an “idiot” and a particularly touchy place for him, his smaller rally crowds:
Stahl: "You used to have bigger rallies."
Trump: "No, these are much bigger than I ever had. You're so negative, you're so negative. These are the biggest rallies we've ever had. You just come in here with that negative attitude."
(Stahl is right.)
— Chris Megerian (@ChrisMegerian) October 22, 2020
And he didn’t like any of it.
Cry about it https://t.co/cgW53pRPBD
— Devindra Hardawar (@Devindra) October 22, 2020
Also, he’s still doing that weird two-handed drinking thing:
Trump does that weird thing where he uses both hands to drink a glass of water pic.twitter.com/5swKiHmXIE
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) October 22, 2020
Wouldn’t you prefer a little more of this in your life right about now? (WARNING: This might make you a little weepy.)
Joe Biden is a profoundly good man
He’s what our ailing country needs. This is old footage of him speaking with Parkland families
— Lindy Li (@lindyli) October 21, 2020
All Other TV News
Well, it was fun while it quibied. Quibi is, after only seven months, dead. It’s not a surprise: Jeffrey Katzenberg was searching for someone, anyone, to buy the streaming service for the past few weeks, but no one bit quickly.
You can read Katzenberg’s letter here, but it doesn’t reveal what was wrong. There were a host of issues: the fact you could only watch it on your phone, you couldn’t screenshot it, you couldn’t watch and simultaneously do something else on your phone like text friends, and, most of all, no one wants to watch 10 minutes of a story at a time.
The failure of Quibi is reassuring to those of us who thought "That sounds like a terrible idea but maybe I'm just old"
— Eddie Robson (@EddieRobson) October 22, 2020
And of the 910,000 people who initially downloaded the app, only 72,000 users became paying subscribers. It got better: they were on track towards 2 million subscribers by the end of the year, but it was nowhere near the 7.5 million projected users. And at an initial investment cost of $2 billion, it was an expensive failure.
The real question is will Quibi be included in the In Memoriam section of award shows.
Quibi 2020 – slightly later in 2020
— W. Kamau Bell (@wkamaubell) October 22, 2020
As for what happens to Quibi’s content and their production partners? Unclear. They had a ton of programs, a number of them well-received by critics, so hopefully some of them will find new homes. Good luck, kids, and Godspeed.
Saturday Night Live is making history this year: for the first time in 46 seasons, they will do six consecutive episodes.
While we investigate the nature & meaning of Darren’s tattoos we have removed the video featuring him from our social media, & will not be broadcasting any eps of The Chop until we have concluded that investigation. Sky HISTORY stands against racism & hate speech of all kinds.
— Sky HISTORY (@HISTORYUK) October 20, 2020
Braxton Family Values? More like Braxton Family Drama.
Yesterday, more than 1,200 Americans died of this fucking virus. 15 of those people were here in Harris County, and more than 600 people tested positive just yesterday. Texas now has had the most cases of COVID-19 in the country: 889,513 cases.
Here in Houston, our largest school district, HISD reopened to students on Monday. On Tuesday, 16 schools had to shut down because of positive test results. HISD then announced new guidelines: it would take two positive tests to shut down a school. This prompted a sickout by teachers at 35 campuses.
OWN’s Quen Sugar is finally restarting production after being hit by the double whammy of COVID-19 and hurricanes.
PETA hopes that in a post-pandemic world, talk shows will do away with their animal segments altogether. First of all, imagine having this be your biggest concern right now. But second of all, yeah, nah.
Martin Bashir, BBC journalist and former MSNBC host, is reportedly “seriously unwell” with COVID. Never forget his best moment: “Bashir famously resigned his MSNBC post in 2013 after making controversial remarks about former U.S. vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin. He called her a ‘world-class idiot’ and suggested on-air that someone might defecate in her mouth.” WHAT MUST HE THINK OF PRESIDENT SHIT-FOR-BRAINS?
Theme parks are considering legal action against California for their strict reopening rules, and guys, I get it, but WE ARE ON A THIRD WAVE. MAYBE JUST COOPERATE.
- Star Trek: Picard has been renewed for a third season on CBS All Access.
- Miracle Workers has been renewed for a third season on TBS (yay!).
- Staged has been renewed at BBC.
- A live-action The Addams Family TV series from Tim Burton is being shopped around.
- Flashdance is being turned into a TV series by Paramount.
- NBC is developing an untitled figure skating comedy produced by Adam Rippon.
- Niecy Nash is getting her own daytime talk show.
- Ziwe Fumudoh, a writer on Our Cartoon President and Desus & Mero, is getting her own variety show on Showtime.
- Accessible, a teen comedy, is in development at HBO Max.
- Lightyears, a sci-fi drama, has been ordered at Amazon.
- Jann, a Canadian comedy, is coming to Hulu.
- The Velvet Underground, a documentary about, well, The Velvet Underground, is coming to Apple TV+.
- Scott Speedman is joining the cast of You on Netflix.
- Rosario Dawson has been cast in Dopesick on Hulu.
- Chosen Jacobs and Lexi Underwood are starring in Sneakerella on Disney+.
- Cameron Britton is joining Shrill on Hulu.
- Will Peltz is joining the cast of Manifest on NBC.
- Billie Jean King will narrate a docuseries about inequalities women face in sports.
Mark Your Calendars
- The Unicorn returns November 12.
- Bull returns November 16.
- FBI returns November 17.
- FBI: Most Wanted returns November 17.
- SEAL Team returns November 25.
- The Prom will debut on Netflix on December 11.
- Servant returns on Apple TV+ on January 15.
- The Daily Show will broadcast live on Election Night.
- Your Honor debuts on Showtime on December 6.
- Christmas on the Square will debut on Netflix on November 22.
- Run will premiere on Hulu on November 20.
— Run Film (@OfficialRunFilm) October 22, 2020
- The Liberator will debut on Netflix on November 11.
- Paranormal will debut on Netflix on November 5.
- Riviera returns on Sundance Now on November 5.
- Every Vote Counts: A Celebration of Democracy will air on CBS on October 29.
- I Love New York: Reunited will air on VH1 on November 24.
- Becoming You will debut on Apple TV+ on November 13.
Marge Champion, Dancer, actress, and model for Snow White
James Randi, Magician, skeptic, and debunker of the paranormal
The Second Presidential Debate: I MEAN, MAYBE. WHO KNOWS. 8 p.m., ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, C-SPAN
Roald Dahl’s The Witches: Anne Hathaway, Octavia Spencer, Stanley Tucci, Kristin Chenoweth and Chris Rock star in this new adaptation of the classic Dahl story. HBO Max
Equal: This four-part docuseries explores the history of the LGBTQ movement. Premiere. HBO Max
Cadaver: In the aftermath of a nuclear event, a desperate family is invited to attend some sort of theatrical performance at a hotel … and then the audience members begin to disappear in this Norweigan horror film. Netflix
32 Malasana Street: A family moves into a fully-furnished apartment in Madrid, which comes complete with ghosts in this Spanish horror film. Shudder
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Nicole Kidman, Of Monsters and Men
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Michael Keaton, HAIM, Todd Sucherman
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Matt Berninger
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Josh Gad, The Score and AWOLNATION
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Octavia Spencer, Lauv featuring Conan Gray
- The Daily Show: The Daily Social Distancing Show
- Watch What Happens Live: Marlon Wayans, Olivia Newton-John
|ABC||Pre Debate Coverage
|FOX||Thursday Night Football
|Pre Debate Coverage