Happy Fourth of STAY THE FUCK HOME, everyone (she writes from a cabin in a different state)! Fortunately for all of us, Disney+ has decided to release Hamilton today to give us something to do inside rather than share our germs with our fellow citizens. And people are excited!
— Haya Alyssa (@aca_dr12) July 3, 2020
— 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐚. (@househarington) July 3, 2020
— Megan Saunders (@megsx11) July 3, 2020
My son the moment he opened his eyes this AM: “is it… Hamilton day?!”
Kid knows what’s good. @Lin_Manuel 🙌
— olivia wilde (@oliviawilde) July 3, 2020
— Leon dE Blaes (@leondeblaes) July 3, 2020
— Eric Badiqué (@EricBDK) July 3, 2020
— The Obama Foundation (@ObamaFoundation) July 3, 2020
A timeline of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s relationship with ABC/Disney. Somehow they left off the part where I had Thanksgiving dinner with him in 2003. A simple mistake I’m sure they’ll fix in later edits.
Showtime is making the first episode of Outcry available to watch for free on YouTube this weekend.
They wanted Lost to run 10 seasons. 10! THAT’S TOO MANY SEASONS.
I NEED SEASON THREE OF MINDHUNTER. GIVE IT TO ME.
You can now watch The Joy of Painting on Tubi, in case you are needing some happy little trees right about now.
Shut the fuck up, Dilbert. (Also, as of today, more than 130,000 Americans have died because President Incompetent is in charge, so even if I were a Republican, I’d take my chances with a little leadership change.)
You don’t fuck with perfection, gentlemen.
Dr. Fauci is warning that we could hit 100,000 positives a day in this country. GREAT JOB EVERYONE!
California is shutting down again. This is going to make it difficult to start production back up. Americans can’t go to Europe because we’ve fucked this up so badly. This will also prove a problem for productions looking to begin again. The EU is making exceptions for some big productions.
America’s Got Talent has restarted production on season 15. Good luck!
Magnum P.I. is hoping to begin production in August, and honestly, it has the best chance of being successful, as they film on Hawaii, and Hawaii long ago forced people coming from elsewhere to quarantine.
Sex Education plans to go back into production in August.
The Young and the Restless has pushed back their production start date a week.
Herman Cain has been hospitalized with COVID-19 one day — ONE DAY! — after tweeting about how people are sick of wearing masks.
Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump. PEOPLE ARE FED UP!https://t.co/Oykdz4xThD
— Herman Cain (@THEHermanCain) July 1, 2020
Life comes at you fast …
And yes, according to that Herman Cain tweet, there is no plan for social distancing or masks at President Contagion’s big Mt. Rushmore event tonight. Jesus Christ.
Tom Hanks says, “SHAME ON YOU,” to the jerks who won’t wear a mask. I have harsher words for them, but America’s Dad is a gentleman, so I will leave it at that.
Kid Rock is a dangerous asshole who is going to get people killed.
Speaking of talentless has-beens, Vanilla Ice was planning on performing in Austin this weekend, despite the fact that Texas is in an uncontrolled spike. Fortunately, he canceled at the last minute.
Everyone in and involved with this clip can go fuck themselves:
Watch the b-roll in this Fox News clip and note who they show wearing masks.pic.twitter.com/f9Cr9xhkDS
— Ben Collins (@oneunderscore__) July 1, 2020
Mad Men is going to be available for free on IMDb’s streaming site, but they are going with the HBO Max/Gone With the Wind route, and instead of removing the blackface episode, they are adding a disclaimer, which is, frankly, the better way to handle this whole situation. The BBC streaming service is also adding an “attitudes of its time” disclaimer to some of its titles as a warning — and acknowledgment — of potentially racist material.
Here’s a discussion as to why it’s important to confront racism in popular culture rather than just delete the offending material. Now, that said, I understand the impulse to just delete episodes of 30 Rock or Golden Girls that made insensitive jokes. After all, with a show like Mad Men, the blackface incident was intended to be shocking to our 21st-century sensibilities, whereas the incidents in the other sitcoms that have removed episodes were really the result of some lazy writing and some low-key, unexplored underlying racism. That’s harder to explain in a disclaimer. (All that said, they should maybe have tried.)
Oh my God, the Washington Redskins MIGHT ACTUALLY CHANGE THEIR NAME. FUCKING FINALLY.
The NFL is going to play “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” at the start of every NFL game during Week 1. (Assuming there is a Week 1.)
Ray Fisher has A LOT to say about Joss Whedon and Justice League and none of it is good. This is a good explainer about the whole Zack Snyder Justice League cut controversy, too, if you’re interested. Also, a reminder: Joss Whedon is not the feminist hero we all wish he was.
- Curb Your Enthusiasm has been renewed for an 11th season. “Believe me, I’m as upset about this as you are,” David told Variety. “One day I can only hope that HBO will come to their senses and grant me the cancellation I so richly deserve.”
- The Great has been renewed for a second season at Hulu.
- Never Have I Ever has been renewed for a second season at Netflix.
❗️❗️ MAITREYI GOT BANGS ❗️❗️ oh yeah, and Never Have I Ever got a season 2 🙃 pic.twitter.com/sHJhjQMmXb
— Never Have I Ever (@neverhaveiever) July 1, 2020
- Amy Schumer Learns to Cook has been renewed for more episodes.
- Katy Keene has been canceled at The CW after one season.
- The Kominsky Method has been renewed for a third and final season at Netflix.
- Beavis and Butt-Head is coming back. MTV has ordered two more seasons, and spin-offs and specials. Mike Judge is involved.
- Unruly, a limited series about the boxer Jack Johnson starring Mahershala Ali, has been set at HBO.
- Fallout is being turned into a series by the creators of Westworld.
- Clone High is coming back to MTV.
- DeadEndia, an animated series based on the comic book series, has been ordered at Netflix.
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 from Aaron Sorkin has been officially ordered at Netflix.
- Fox is going to film all six of the pilots they ordered: Comedies Pivoting, and This Country; Dramas The Big Leap, The Cleaning Lady, Blood Relative, and Untitled Film Re-Enactment Project.
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan is in talks for a role on The Boys. This fits.
- Lesley Manville has been cast as Princess Margaret on The Crown.
- Anthony Anderson and Billy Eichner have been set as the first hosts of Jimmy Kimmel Live! while he’s on vacation.
Mark Your Calendar
Peacock has released trailers for their new shows. All will debut on July 15:
- Brave New World:
- The Capture:
- Lost Speedways with Dale Earnhardt Jr.:
- Where’s Waldo?:
- Cleopatra in Space:
- In Deep with Ryan Lochte:
- Curious George:
- The Dick Van Dyke Show – Now In Living Color! A Special Tribute To Carl Reiner will air on CBS tonight.
- The Boys will return on Amazon on September 4.
- Wynonna Earp returns on Syfy on July 26.
- Cursed will debut on Netflix on July 17.
- Down to Earth with Zac Efron will debut on Netflix on July 10.
- Room 104 will return on HBO on July 24.
- Corporate will return on Comedy Central on July 22.
- Nickelodeon’s Unfiltered will premiere on Nickelodeon on July 11.
- Family or Fiance will return on OWN on July 11.
- United Shades of Kamau Bell will return on CNN on July 19.
- Darcey & Stacey will premiere on TLC on August 9.
- Unearthed: Seven Wonders will air on Science on July 5.
- All episodes of Pitch are available on Hulu:
— Hulu – #PrideNeverStops (@hulu) June 29, 2020
Hugh Downs, Host of Today, 20/20 and the newsman of my entire childhood
Danny Hicks, Actor in Evil Dead II and Darkman among others
Hamilton: Happy birthday, America! Stay home and watch this instead of looking for fireworks, PLEASE. Premiere. Disney+
Ju-On: Origins: The Korean movie and film series that The Grudge was based on is being turned into a TV series. Prepare to be creeped out. Series premiere. Netflix
Hanna: Season two. Amazon
The Baby-Sitters Club: I am a decade or two too old for this series, but from what I understand, the kids are Very Excited about this one. Series premiere. Netflix
Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular: This might look a little different this year. 7 p.m., NBC
A Capitol Fourth 2020: Hopefully, this will too. 7 p.m., PBS
Midway: Nick Jonas and Mandy Moore star in this movie about the Battle of Midway. It is preceded by Flags of Our Fathers if you want to make it into a little World War II movie marathon. (Fun Therese Fact: Before I was a Very Fancy Blogger, I worked on Flags of Our Fathers, the book that was optioned into the movie by Clint Eastwood.) 7 p.m., HBO
America: Our Defining Moments: A three-part miniseries about the defining moments in American history, including: the Mayflower, the Civil War, and 9/11. I can’t help but feel like they’re going to need to go back and do an entire episode on 2020 one day. Series premiere. 8 p.m., History
Outcry: This is a new investigative documentary series. The first episode examines the case of a Texas high-school football star who was wrongfully convicted of sexually assaulting a minor. Series premiere. 9 p.m., Showtime
Desus & Mero: It’s moving times so as to go head-to-head with Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. Good luck, guys! 10 p.m., Showtime
|CBS||The Dick Van Dyke Show – Now In Living Color! A Special Tribute To Carl Reiner||Magnum P.I.
|CW||iHeartCountry 4th of July BBQ
|FOX||Friday Night Smackdown||Local|
|NBC||World of Dance
|ABC||America’s Funniest Home Videos
|The Good Doctor
|48 Hours||48 Hours||News/Local|
|FOX||Celebrity Watch Party
|NBC||Macy’s Fourth of July Spectacular||News/
|Saturday Night Live
|ABC||America’s Funniest Home Videos
|Celebrity Family Feud
|Press Your Luck
|CBS||60 Minutes||60 Minutes Presents||NCIS: Los Angeles
|NCIS: New Orleans
|Penn & Teller: Fool Us
|FOX||Last Man Standing
|Bless the Harts
|Hollywood Game Night
|America’s Got Talent