Chickens purr. And now you know.
Here’s A BUNCH OF TV News
The Golden Globes happened last night. There was a brief moment there when Hollywood woke up to the fact that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is a racist, sexist, corrupt organization and its awards ceremony was a meaningless sham that was hosted as a means to pressure Hollywood actors and actresses into schmoozing with a bunch of journalists who would otherwise have little access to them. IT’S ALL NONSENSE AND IT MEANS NOTHING.
But because the entire industry is based on ego-stroking, once the HFPA “cleaned up” its act — by hiring a bunch of crisis managers and public relations teams — and after putting the Golden Globes in a television time out for one (1) year, the Golden Globes were back on NBC last night, and everyone in Hollywood (with a few notable exceptions) were willing to play along.
I’m not going to spend a whole lot of time on last night’s ceremony because I still think it’s a bullshit event hosted by a bullshit organization that doesn’t actually mean anything and its only purpose is to inflate already stratospheric egos and YES, IT’S “FUN” but my feelings about the three-hour ceremony is:
But because it’s the biggest TV story of the day, I suppose I have to at least mention it in passing.
Here’s Jerrod Carmichael’s monologue, which, to his credit, dragged the HFPA. And just listen to how uncomfortable the audience is.
the golden globes coming back like nothing ever really happened and then hiring jerrod carmichael who – not even for a second – gave them or the celebs an easy ride. stunnin pic.twitter.com/7oRcXdRcTs
— lucy ford 🍊 (@lucyj_ford) January 11, 2023
And he went THERE:
Thank you Jerrod Carmichael!
Where is Shelly??#GoldenGlobes2023 #GoldenGlobes pic.twitter.com/Ns81BG7iq0
— Leah Remini (@LeahRemini) January 11, 2023
I can also give credit to a few speeches:
Ke Huy Quan’s acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actor for a Motion Picture in Everything Everywhere All at Once was terribly sweet:
I freaking dare you to watch this and not feel something. pic.twitter.com/64k9JCxeiN
— Phil Yu (@angryasianman) January 11, 2023
And please note the googly eye:
Just want to make sure you saw the the googly eye. pic.twitter.com/HzxId9sn9U
— Phil Yu (@angryasianman) January 11, 2023
Jennifer Coolidge’s speech thanking the people who kept her career going was similar to Ke Huy Quan’s but with a lot more bleeping and Mike White sobbing:
Eddie Murphy’s advice in the business:
Eddie Murphy shares three pieces of advice for up-and-comers in the industry:
1) Pay your taxes.
2) Mind your business.
3) Keep Will Smith's wife's name out your f—ing mouth.https://t.co/YDe7QBg9R9 pic.twitter.com/1iH3iHGBiz
— Variety (@Variety) January 11, 2023
And Ryan Murphy acknowledged MJ Rodriquez who made history last year as the first trans actress to win a Golden Globe — last year. When there was no televised ceremony and she didn’t get to have her moment.
wine drunk and crying over a ryan murphy speech i am so embarrassed of myself pic.twitter.com/1sJQwjZ21n
— lydia ミ☆ (@mchalescinema) January 11, 2023
Oh, and yes, Milly Alcock was very drunk when House of the Dragon won for best drama series …
Milly Alcock wasted at the golden globes is top tier pic.twitter.com/vE2YJt1fKy
— quincy (@qlou112) January 11, 2023
… but I think it’s even funnier that only three House of the Dragon people — two actors and a FORMER showrunner — even attended the ceremony because they didn’t expect it to win. Hilarious. And congrats on the win, kids. I guess.
We’re just getting started with Awards Season:
The SAG Awards (which will broadcast on Netflix’s YouTube channel this year and stream on Netflix in 2024) have announced their nominees. I’m not mad at them.
And the DAG has announceditsr nominees for television and I’m pleased to see that my beloved FBoy Island received a nod. No, I’m not kidding.
Pssst … for those of you who haven’t read the accounts of the Dance of the Dragons in George R.R. Martin’s other books, this scene in Game of Thrones spoils the ending. Or at least a part of it.
Do … do the fans of Warrior Nun understand that Kelly Clarkson doesn’t run Netflix? Can someone please explain to me why this is happening?
hello @kellyclarkson @KellyClarksonTV we made this phase for you we worldwide trend help us save the show and maybe have our beloved cast alba and kty in your amazing show will be much appreciated!! #savewarriornun KELLY SAVE OUR NUNS, reply with the phase COME ON!! pic.twitter.com/fY1xDAKWmI
— Had || save wn era ➐ (@avanunice) January 10, 2023
NOT AGAIN 😭😂
the oficial quote is KELLY SAVE OUR NUNS 🗣 #SaveWarriorNun #warriornun pic.twitter.com/8qErin8I3s
— Warrior Nun Source ⚔️ (@avatricesource) January 10, 2023
WARRIOR NUN CAST INTERVIEW WHEN ?? @kellyclarkson @KellyClarksonTV
KELLY SAVE OUR NUNS !!
KEEP TAGGING THE SHOW IN UR TWEETS AND FLOODING COMMENT SECTIONS!! LETS TREND THIS WW pic.twitter.com/ahNAqD20ys
— kayy || FIGHTING THE HOLY WAR (@sangriafalls) January 10, 2023
The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City‘s Jen Shah is going to prison for 6.5 years, and people are still asking Andy Cohen if she’s going to be on the show. Do y’all know what prison is?
Yes, there are talks for an Interview with a Vampire and Mayfair Witches crossover.
Obviously, Harry watches The Crown. You know the entire Royal family does, right?
Please make Lady Gaga on Wednesday happen.
#Wednesday star Jenna Ortega on what role Lady Gaga might play if she appears in Season 2. "If Lady Gaga were to be a part, [she and Wednesday] would have to be two monsters that understand each other." https://t.co/mPI0zz0SqB pic.twitter.com/wtCU6lVU7V
— Variety (@Variety) January 11, 2023
I am simultaneously not surprised the Krewe of Endymion invited Mel Gibson to be the king of this year’s Mardi Gras parade and that they had to rescind the invitation. Both parts of this story — an organization that is predominately made up of rich middle-aged white folks invites a notorious racist antisemite to party with them only to have the rest of the city, which is 58% Black, say, “OH HELL NO” — is peak New Orleans.
Wtfizzle 😳…did she just #twerk on #PatSajak #gowhitegirl #wheeloffortune #Twerkology pic.twitter.com/NyCCZoFhEf
— Karim Bliz Johnson (@Bliz155) January 6, 2023
I mean … can he even fit in that car?
Former Knick Jared Jeffries won a car on The Price Is Right this morningpic.twitter.com/AEQwgYap7P
— Knicks Videos (@sny_knicks) January 9, 2023
Recover quickly, Rick Leventhal.
- Abbott Elementary has been renewed for a third season on ABC, OBVIOUSLY.
- Claim to Fame has been renewed for a second season on ABC. (yay!)
- Celebrity Family Feud has been renewed for a ninth season on ABC.
- Press Your Luck has been renewed for a fifth season on ABC.
- Billy the Kid has been renewed for a second season at MGM+.
- Rogue Heroes has been renewed for a second season at MGM+.
- Sherri has been renewed for two more seasons in syndication.
- The Jennifer Hudson Show has been renewed for a second season on Fox stations.
- Jeopardy! Masters has been ordered to series at ABC. Ken Jennings will host.
- El Patio, a neighborhood comedy, is in the works at Fox.
- Star Trek Section 31, a spinoff of Star Trek Discovery starring Michelle Yeoh, is in the works at Paramount+.
- The Bannerman spy book series is being adapted at AMC.
- The Emperor of Ocean Park; Hoodlum; Earth Abides; and American Classic are all in the works at MGM+.
- BBC is working on a dramatization of the Wagatha Christie scandal as part of its A Very English Scandal series.
- Woody Harrelson has joined Project Artemis on Apple TV+.
- Meghan Trainor, Mark Consuelos, Constance Marie, Michael Cimino, and John Corbett will guest star on How I Met Your Father on Hulu.
- Donna Mills will guest star on The Rookie: Feds on ABC.
- Kathryn Dennis is not returning to Southern Charm on Bravo.
Mark Your Calendars
- Godfather of Harlem returns on MGM+ (Epix) on January 15; Murf the Surf premieres on February 5; A Spy Among Friends premieres on March 12; FROM returns on April 23.
- Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies will premiere on Paramount+ in April.
- How I Met Your Father returns on Hulu on January 24.
- Kings of Jo’burg returns on Netflix on January 27.
- Gunther’s Millions debuts on Netflix on February 1.
- Dirty Old Cars will debut on History Channel on January 18.
- Shape Island will premiere on Apple TV+ on January 20.
- Chasing the Rains will premiere on BBCAmerica and AMC+ on April 22.
- Slasher: Ripper will return on Shudder on April 6; Black will premiere on April 13.
- Life After Lockup returns on WeTV on February 24; Omega: Gift and Curse premieres on March 2.
Rick Tuber, Emmy-winning editor for E.R.
The Conners: The death of a beloved teacher brings Dan and Jackie’s high school classmates together. Winter premiere. 7 p.m., ABC
Name That Tune: Season three premiere. 7 p.m., Fox
The Goldbergs: Geoff struggles to identify with the JTP as a new father. Winter premiere. 7:30 p.m., ABC
Lingo: RuPaul hosts this new fast-paced word game show. Series premiere. 8 p.m., CBS
How I Caught My Murderer: This new true-crime series tells the stories of cases that were broken by clues left behind by the victim. Series premiere. Hulu
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Pedro Pascal, Finn Wolfhard, Drew & Jonathan Scott, Myke Towers
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Common, Nico Parker, Inhaler, Fab Moretti
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Janelle Monáe, Jamie Oliver
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Alexandra Daddario, Paul Dano, Jenny Zigrino
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Bryan Cranston
- Watch What Happens Live: Brandi Glanville, Michelle Buteau
|CBS||The Price is Right at Night
|Tough As Nails
|CW||Penn & Teller: Fool Us
|FOX||Name That Tune
|Special Forces: World’s Toughest Test
2 thoughts on “The most meaningless awards ceremony was back last night for some dumb reason.”
How could you not include Michelle Yeoh’s acceptance speech? She spoke about the opportunities for aging women in entertainment and, when the band tried to cut her off, told the band to “… shut up, please. I can beat you up.”
She could so they did.
I really enjoyed the Golden Globes and watched it on Peacock App on my iPad.
I had seen a few of the movies and a big fan of Abbott Elementary.
The Golden Globes are more enjoyable to me than the Oscars.