Welcome back! It’s turkey week!
The ears.. 😂 pic.twitter.com/jiYiqCeA1A
— Buitengebieden (@buitengebieden) November 20, 2022
Here’s A BUNCH OF TV News
Before I begin, I wanted to express my deep horror and heartbreak over the mass shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs this weekend, in which five people were killed, and 25 others were injured. My heart goes out to the two unarmed heroes who stopped the gunman, and to everyone who was affected directly and indirectly by this act of domestic terrorism. Lauren Fucking Boebert and every other Republican and conservative who has been feeding the hate machine, attacking the LGBTQ community, demonizing trans people and drag queens — I’m looking at you Greg Abbot and Ron DeSantis — they can take their thoughts and prayers and shove them. They have blood on their hands.
ZOMG, Bob Iger is back as the Disney CEO, effective last night. Bob Chapek is gone after a tumultuous two years and a 41% stock price drop since the beginning of the year. I can not wait to hear the story of how this went down, because you know it’s good. Here’s Iger’s message to Disney, if you’re interested.
The Walking Dead series finale happened last night and here are answers to the questions you might have. SPOILERS ABOUND, FRIENDS.
The Walking Dead also did a clever advertising campaign, bringing back a handful of characters who died over the course of the series as zombies as spokespeople.
The creator of The Goldbergs wants nothing to do with The Goldbergs anymore — which is a fascinating turn of events for a show that was so autobiographical.
DO NOT WORRY: Andy Cohen WILL be drunk on CNN’s New Year’s Eve show. I REPEAT: TEQUILA WILL BE CONSUMED. Suck it, Chris Licht.
Speaking of Chris Licht, here he is promising that CNN will not become a 24/7 Former President Dingus outlet. I will believe it when I see it.
Strange: Fox News’ coverage of violent crime dropped 63% the day after Election Day. So … did crime just stop? Or …
The new head of CBS Entertainment, Amy Reisenbach, insists that broadcast is not dead. (Who’s going to tell her?)
It’s official: the only good guy on Love is Blind is Brennon.
In a recent interview, John Slattery confirmed that he originally read for Don Draper on Mad Men, but when he saw Jon Hamm in the role, he was like, “‘Oh — they sure do have that guy.’” He also claimed that people would forget their lines when confronted with Hamm and Christina Hendricks on account of the blinding hotness.
Lilyhammer isn’t going away after all? Netflix signed a deal to keep it on the streamer for a while longer.
Gary Oldman is threatening to retire, but I know how these retirement announcements go.
This is how BBC opened coverage of World Cup 2022. Stark contrast to Fox Coverage in United States. Please take a minute to watch. This is how this World Cup should be contextualized 🙌 pic.twitter.com/36HtKOX26w
— roger bennett (@rogbennett) November 20, 2022
The World Cup is happening, and I have not been pushing it too much because I have mixed feelings about it. I happen to love the World Cup, but it’s being held in Qatar under some very messy, morally-compromised conditions. First of all, it’s well understood that Qatar bribed FIFA to be chosen to host the competition — because why on earth should a soccer tournament be held in a country with a horrible record on human rights, no infrastructure, and an average high temperature of 106 degrees in the summer — you know, when the World Cup is traditionally held — be awarded such a prestigious prize? Speaking of human rights, they used slave labor in preparation for the World Cup — because of that no infrastructure thing, and somewhere around 4,000 people died. And that’s leaving aside their treatment of women, homosexuals, and their whole religious totalitarian thing they’ve got going on. So, yeah, it’s gross. I might watch the U.S. play (see below in Dates) but I’m not going to feel good about it.
John Oliver has it covered:
So what’s going on over on Twitter? EXCELLENT QUESTION. Last we checked in on this mess, Elon had begun selling blue check marks under something called “Twitter Blue” and chaos erupted as people used the $8 “official mark” to impersonate businesses and celebrities. Eli Lilly alone lost billions in stock value when someone tweeted out that insulin was now free.
“What’s happening with Elon Musk is a wonderful microcosm to show you how quickly people will abandon what they say is a principle when things aren’t going their way.” #BetweenTheScenes #DailyShow #foryoupage #fyp #elonmusk #twitter
SO! Since then, “Twitter Blue” was quietly removed. Then the next day, thousands of Twitter contractors were fired without being told they were fired: they just lost access to the company’s systems. Other employees were fired for criticizing Elon on Twitter’s Slack channels.
And then on November 16 — last Wednesday — Elon put out a message to the remaining employees that they needed to agree to be “extremely hardcore” or get out.
Scoop: Elon Musk just sent an email to all staff outlining "Twitter 2.0", writing it will"need to be extremely hardcore". Long hours, high intensity.
People need to click "yes" to confirm being part of this by 5pm ET tomorrow, else they get 3 months severance. More details:
— Gergely Orosz (@GergelyOrosz) November 16, 2022
Shockingly (not shockingly), this led to approximately 75% of the remaining employees quitting.
Elon checking the Twitter Slack to see who’s decided to stay pic.twitter.com/mI42HaCLCv
— K-Pop David Lynch (@firagawalkwthme) November 18, 2022
By Thursday, most people believed the end of Twitter was imminent and #RIPTwitter began trending. An employee told the Washington Post that a “skeleton crew” was manning the system and that it “will continue to coast until it runs into something, and then it will stop.”
Elon, stunned that so many people chose the severance package, tried to walk back his “extremely hardcore” message, and talk senior engineers into staying.
Scoop: I am hearing far fewer than expected devs hit "yes".
Elon sent out an email relaxing remote working from the former draconian policy.
I'm hearing he is having meetings w top engineers to convince them to stay.
Sounds like playing hardball does not work. Ofc it doesn't. https://t.co/VrPEn4IwBG
— Gergely Orosz (@GergelyOrosz) November 17, 2022
guy sad about twitter called me last night at three a.m…. wanted to talk about mindviruses(???)
And he also locked the doors to Twitter’s headquarters until today.
There's no one sailing the ship. They all jumped overboard & Elon Musk is fucked. Seriously, by Monday almost 90% of the company has been laid off or quit in disgust.
— Jeffrey Ⓥ (@LiftForever67) November 18, 2022
— Pixelized Sunset (@PixelizedSunset) November 18, 2022
Someone projected a bunch of insults onto the building, including “Space Karen.”
A scrolling message outside Twitter's San Francisco headquarters has called @elonmusk a "lawless oligarch, space Karen, mediocre manchild, worthless billionaire" and more @6NewsAU pic.twitter.com/PyXz0YaZmF
— Leonardo Puglisi (@Leo_Puglisi6) November 18, 2022
Space Karen will always be funny 😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/CSw5ox3Whg
— Ciara Lashay (@CiCi_Lashay2) November 18, 2022
I was space Karen first, dammit. pic.twitter.com/UvNw3UyhbW
— Dr. Karen James (@kejames) November 18, 2022
BUT IF THAT WASN’T ENOUGH CHAOS FOR ONE WEEK, Elon then reinstated right-wing lunatic Jordan Peterson, right-wing satire site The Babylon Bee, and comedian Kathy Griffin. After claiming he was going to appoint a “council” to decide whether or not to reinstate Former President Frumples should be reinstated on Twitter, he posted an unscientific Twitter poll, to allow the “people” to decide. The bots descended, and 51.8% voted in favor of reinstating Trump. So he did.
However! In a plot twist, the Former Tweeter-in-Chief said, “Thanks but no thanks.” This is particularly disastrous for Elon, as he was certainly hoping that Former Impeached Twice President returning to the platform would also bring users and advertisers back. OH WELL! Super great use of $44 billion, Space Karen!
i truly believe that i will usher in a new era of peace and prosperity when i get every single post on hthis fucking website deleted by 2022
— wint (@dril) August 24, 2017
Get better soon, Al Roker! We’re rooting for you!
- The White Lotus has been renewed at HBO for a third season. (Yay!) It will take place in a new location, though no word on whether or not Jennifer Coolidge will be in it. (Let’s hope!)
- Monster High has been renewed for a second season on Nickelodeon.
- Staged has been renewed for a third season on BritBox.
- Kandi & the Gang has been canceled at Bravo after one season.
- How to Die Alone, a comedy written by and starring Natasha Rothwell, has been greenlit at Hulu.
- Life, Changing, a comedy from the creators of A Million Little Things, is being developed at NBC.
- The Hilsons, a family comedy from the team who created The Neighborhood, is in the works at CBS.
- A coming-of-age ROTC drama directed by Spike Lee is being developed at Prime Video.
- Marc Maron has set a comedy special at HBO.
- Silk: Spider Society has been ordered at Prime Video.
- A spinoff series of Sofia the First is in development at Disney.
- Avalon, the Neve Campbell crime drama from David E. Kelley is not moving forward at ABC.
- Apple TV+ is NOT moving forward with their adaptation of Maggie Haberman’s book about Former President Grifter, Confidence Man. GOOD.
- Jay Duplass and Timothy Omundson have joined Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+.
- Vicki Lawrence has been cast as Leslie Jordan’s mother on Call Me Kat on Fox.
- Ryan Seacrest, Liza Koshy, Jessie James Decker, and Ciara will host Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve on ABC.
- Millie Gibson has joined the cast of Doctor Who on BBC.
- Patrick Duffy is returning to The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS.
- T’Keyah Crystal Keymáh is returning to Raven’s Home on Disney Channel.
- James Udom, Siua Ikaleo, Brandon Finn, Mainei Kinimaka, Te Ao o Hinepehinga, Luciane Buchanan, and Te Kohe Tuhaka have been cast in Chief of War on Apple TV+.
Cheryl Burke is leaving Dancing with the Stars on Disney+.
Mark Your Calendar
- Letterkenny returns on Hulu on December 26.
- Bel-Air returns on Peacock on February 23.
- It’s a Wonderful Binge will debut on Hulu on December 9.
- Who Killed Santa? A Murderville Murder Mystery will debut on Netflix on December 15.
- Branson will debut on HBO on December 1.
- Cook at All Costs will premiere on Netflix on December 16.
- Hush premieres on ALLBLK on December 1.
- Inside the Black Box returns on Crackle on December 1.
- Sean Patton: Number One will debut on Peacock on December 2.
- Boys in Blue will debut on Showtime on January 6.
- Love After Lockup will return on WE tv on December 16.
- Sonic Prime will premiere on Netflix After School on December 15.
- Junji Ito Maniac premieres on Netflix on January 19.
- JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure STONE OCEAN returns on Netflix on December 1.
- The premiere of Krapopolis has been pushed back from its original November 27th date.
- The Way Home will debut on Hallmark Channel on January 15.
- Bose will premiere on Paramount+ on December 1.
- The 45th Annual Kennedy Center Honors will air on CBS on December 28.
- Countdown to Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade will air on NBC on November 23.
- Gen Z in DC; Saving Sea & Seeing Nature will premiere on Nickelodeon on November 23.
- With Every Cyst-mas Card I Write will debut on TLC on December 15.
- Bellator 290 will debut on CBS on February 4.
Jason David Frank, Original Green Power Ranger and White Ranger, and longtime Houston resident
Nicki Aycox, Actress known for her role on Supernatural
Roslyn Singleton, R&B singer, America’s Got Talent contestant, and frequent guest on The Ellen Degeneres Show
B. Smyth, Hip-hop and R&B singer
Michael Gerson, Former George W. Bush speechwriter, and Washington Post columnist
Danny Kalb, Blues guitarist
Welcome to Chippendales: Kumail Nanjani stars in this limited series as the Indian immigrant who created the male-stripping empire that is Chippendale’s and the murders he committed to keep it. Series premiere. Hulu
Dancing with the Stars: Finale time. Gabby or Shangela better win this thing. Disney+
Martha Holidays: The queen of the holidays is back to make you feel insecure about your own decorating/cooking/hosting skills. Premiere. Roku
World Cup: U.S. vs. Wales. Try to ignore all the human rights violations, I guess. 1 p.m., Fox
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Tim Allen, Lacey Chabert, Brent Faiyaz
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Jim Parsons, Amber Ruffin, Lacey Lamar, Bryan Carter
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Daniel Craig, Josh Johnson
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Carey Mulligan, Machine Gun Kelly, Angela Alvarez
|ABC||Bachelor in Paradise
|The Good Doctor
|Bob ♥ Abishola
|All American: Homecoming
|The Cleaning Lady