It is Wednesday. It is six days until Election Day.
Today I am this frog. SOUND ON.
Thousands of President Doesn’t Give a Shit’s supporters in Omaha were stranded in freezing temperatures for hours, miles from their cars after his rally last night because the campaign didn’t provide enough transportation. Several attendees had to be hospitalized for hypothermia.
You can vote for Trump if you want to, obviously. That's the whole point. But you should know he honesty doesn't care whether you live or die. And the way you know that's true is, he will never mention this once — he won't ask about these people, or send them fond wishes. Nada. https://t.co/54rO74sm8z— Ken Tremendous (@KenTremendous) October 28, 2020
Did I mention that hospitalizations in Nebraska from COVID have gone up 41% in the past two weeks, and deaths have gone up 105%? GOOD CHOICES ALL AROUND, GUYS. GREAT CHOICES.
And I’m just going to leave this amazing comment from his Wisconsin rally right here:
Trump: We’re getting your husbands back to work pic.twitter.com/MOHh0d1Vu7— Acyn Torabi (@Acyn) October 27, 2020
Guessed there might be some mitigating context to Trump's remark to suburban women. Nope.— Daniel Dale (@ddale8) October 27, 2020
"And you know what else? I'm also getting your husbands – they wanna get back to work, right? They wanna get back to work. We're getting your husbands back to work, and everybody wants it."
Elsewhere, bots tried to interfere with Nickelodeon’s “Kid’s Vote,” because 2020. (Joe Biden won, by the way.)
Meanwhile, another President Welfare Queen is charging the American taxpayer to drink water at his own resort story and another President In Putin’s Pocket sure has a lot of mysterious foreign debt story has come out in the past 24 hours. But these stories aren’t going to change anyone’s minds. Everyone knows he’s a traitorous crook, everyone knows he’s milking the U.S. Treasury for his own gain, and you’re either seething with rage about it, or you’re LOLing at how it “triggers the libs.”
So instead, today I’m going to point out three other unrelated stories that are less about the gross lazy compromised slob who currently occupies the White House, and more about how his administration is lousy with dangerous ideologues who hate science and who have already done untold damage on our country. We can not afford four more years of this:
1. The chief scientist of NOAA, Craig McLean, was removed from his post after he “sent some of the new political appointees a message that asked them to acknowledge the agency’s scientific integrity policy, which prohibits manipulating research or presenting ideologically driven findings.” YEP! The head scientist at NOAA asked the other scientists to follow the agency’s own scientific integrity policy and got his ass fired for it. JUST CHEW ON THAT FOR A MOMENT.
2. This Twitter thread:
the web page that would have information about how and if the glaciers are melting — https://t.co/wsIocgkcdr) and when you go there, all the data is missing. Though the thumb nail below shows a glacier /2— Paul Rosenzweig (@RosenzweigP) October 28, 2020
that the depths of his corrosion of America is almost limitless. America or Trump? /fin— Paul Rosenzweig (@RosenzweigP) October 28, 2020
3. And you’re going to think I got this headline from The Onion, but I assure you I did not: “White House science office says Trump ended COVID-19 pandemic as US hits record cases.”
According to a press release intended to highlight the administration’s science accomplishments, the Trump administration said it “has taken decisive actions to engage scientists and health professionals in academia, industry, and government to understand, treat, and defeat the disease.”
OH HAVE THEY?
And I could go on a whole rant about how for generations the religious right has been eroding Americans’ trust in science and our educational system in general as some sort of bulwark against facts that might run contrary to their belief systems because their faith is so fragile, so insecure that it has to be literal instead of figurative and as a result, we have a President who is destroying our democracy and hundreds of thousands of Americans are dead of a pandemic that could be mitigated by just wearing a piece of cloth over their mouth and noses and not eating in indoor restaurants, but I won’t because you don’t need any more shrillness in your world right now.
Just … please … for fuck’s sake … vote.
Yesterday, over one thousand Americans died of COVID-19. Hospitalizations are up 46% from last month. More than 500,000 new cases were announced in the past week. One in four people is testing positive in Newark, New Jersey. We are on a terrifying path, guys.
Meanwhile, this little bitch over here:
Trump flack Hogan Gidley complains on @CNN that media coverage of coronavirus is “exorbitantly negative”— John Harwood (@JohnJHarwood) October 28, 2020
Machu Picchu is reopening after a seven-month closure. Cases in South America, including Peru, are spiking.
Khloe Kardashian apparently had COVID earlier this year. This story only makes this assholery somehow even more galling:
For my birthday this year, I couldn’t think of a better way to spend it than with some of the people who have helped shaped me into the woman I am today. pic.twitter.com/sSZVCdbKH9— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) October 27, 2020
After 2 weeks of multiple health screens and asking everyone to quarantine, I surprised my closest inner circle with a trip to a private island where we could pretend things were normal just for a brief moment in time. pic.twitter.com/cIFP7Nv5bV— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) October 27, 2020
After 2 weeks of multiple health screens and asking everyone to quarantine, I surprised my closest inner circle with a trip to a private island where we could pretend things were normal just for a brief moment in time. pic.twitter.com/z8gtpF1gnD— 𝙽𝚊𝚝𝚎 the talking mongoose (@natehankz) October 27, 2020
After 2 weeks of multiple health screens and asking everyone to quarantine, I surprised my closest inner circle with a trip to a private island where we could pretend things were normal just for a brief moment in time. pic.twitter.com/azA6kU3rxa— B.J. Martino (@bjmartino) October 27, 2020
After 2 weeks of multiple health screens and asking everyone to quarantine, I surprised my closest inner circle with a trip to a private island where we could pretend things were normal just for a brief moment in time. pic.twitter.com/NHnptoav2I— david ehrlich (@davidehrlich) October 27, 2020
After 2 weeks of multiple health screens and asking everyone to quarantine, I surprised my closest inner circle with a trip to a private island where we could pretend things were normal just for a brief moment in time. pic.twitter.com/FRLaCSe11J— MoMA The Museum of Modern Art (@MuseumModernArt) October 27, 2020
Couples Therapy: The COVID Special will air on Showtime on December 13.
Beginning today, The Ellen DeGeneres Show is bringing a live audience back to the studio.
All Other TV News
FASCINATING: Mikhail Gorbachev believes that Dallas is what killed the Soviet Union. I HOPE SO.
This is an interesting article about the upcoming German Netflix series, Barbarians, which aims to take back the Battle of Teutoburg Forest from the right-wing jackasses that have used the battle as a Nazi rallying point.
Keith Raniere just got 120 years in prison for racketeering, sex trafficking, sexual exploitation of a child, and human trafficking. Adios, motherfucker.
Zak Bagans is selling his Charles Manson murder house if you’ve got $2.2 million laying around.
Having the protagonist be a young woman on the cusp of sexuality weaves in the association of women with diabolism, which we most famously see in the Bible with the story of Eve. An adolescent girl’s “magic” is really her newfound sexual power—an unruly force that she has to learn to control, lest it bring ruin upon her and those around her. It’s a central tenet of Puritanism, and it’s why Katherine sees Thomasin as an agent of the devil.
The fact that Kate and William want to farm out Thomasin, to go work for another family as a servant, reminded me that nearly all the young women accused of witchcraft at Salem—some of whom later became accusers—were indentured servants. They were of childbearing age but had no marriage prospects, which made things sexually tense, which sometimes resulted in accusations of witchcraft. The dangerous power that’s unleashed by burgeoning female sexuality shows up again and again in cinema. Just think of Carrie (1976).
- Narcos has been renewed for a third season on Netflix.
- Coroner and Burden of Proof have both been renewed on The CW, and Bulletproof has been given an order for a three-episode special.
- Jon Stewart is returning to TV with a current events series on Apple TV+.
- Ginger Snaps is being turned into a TV series by the producer of Killing Eve.
- Antarctica, a climate change drama, has been ordered at CBS.
- The Mediator with Ice-T has been given a limited order at Fox stations.
- Big Trick Energy and Fast Foodies have been given series orders at TruTV.
- I’m a Killer Maid, a Chinese webcomic, is being turned into a TV series.
- The Nacelle Company has signed a first-look deal with Sony Pictures Television.
- Uzo Aduba is going to star in the HBO reboot of In Treatment.
- Demi Lovato is your host of E!’s People’s Choice Awards.
- Matt Damon will make an appearance in the HBO Max thriller, No Sudden Move.
- Hubert Point-Du Jour, and Maryann Plunkett have joined the cast of Dr. Death on Peacock.
Mark Your Calendars
- The Shop: Uninterrupted, with Barack Obama as a special guest, will air on HBO on October 30.
- Last Man Standing returns on Fox in January.
- The White Tiger will debut on Netflix on January 22.
- This is Life with Lisa Ling will return on CNN on November 29.
- Smoke: Marijuana + Black America will debut on BET on November 18.
- The F-Spot with Derrick Beckles will premiere on Adult Swim on November 26.
- Macho: The Hector Camacho Story will premiere on Showtime on December 4.
American Housewife: Katie goes through great lengths to make sure Taylor graduates high school in the season premiere. 7:30 p.m., ABC
Big Brother: Two-hour season finale. Good luck leaving your quarantine bubble, everyone! 8 p.m., CBS
Secrets of the Saqqara Tombs: A team of archeologists excavates a 4,400-year-old Egyptian tomb, one of the most remarkable discoveries in over 50 years in this documentary. Netflix
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Ken Jeong, Pete Buttigieg, Sam Hunt
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Bette Midler, Bryan Washington
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Jaime Harrison, Elvis Costello
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Chelsea Handler, CL
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: David Letterman, Gillian Jacobs, Gracie Abrams
- The Daily Show: TBA
- Conan: Natasha Lyonne
- Watch What Happens Live: Gina Kirschenheiter, Elizabeth Lyn Vargas
|CBS||The Amazing Race
|FOX||The Masked Singer
|I Can See Your Voice
|American Ninja Warrior