Look, all the news this week is about one of two things: Upfronts or Game of Thrones. So that’s what we’re going to talk about: Upfronts and Game of Thrones.
George R.R. Martin thinks you’re dumb to believe that he finished the books. IT’S CALLED OPTIMISM, GEORGE. WISHFUL THINKING. HAVING HOPE.
In a week that sees the series finales of both Game of Thrones and The Big Bang Theory, this is a nice little piece about how the new tradition (pretty much started by Lost) of announcing a series finale long in advance makes a regular ol’ cancellation — which used to be the norm — feel that much more painful now. Personally, I would argue that every series and their viewers deserves the dignity of knowing that they are going to be canceled with at least three episodes to wrap up their stories. It just wouldn’t be that hard to do, but networks jealously guard their right to ax shows to make room as they see fit.
Over in Upfronts news, the head of FX wants to speed up the production of American Crime Story. We all do, dude.
The Oscars are probably going remain hostless next year. That’s fine.
CBS has put a dumb little heart emoji in the title of its new show Bob ♥ Abishola because they haven’t learned from ABC about stupid TV titles. More on this series in my CBS post which will be coming later this afternoon.
Speaking of ABC’s stupid show titles, now that Whiskey Cavalier has been canceled at ABC, will Lauren Cohan return to The Walking Dead? I know they’d be THRILLED to have her back, seeing as they didn’t kill off her character.
- Miracle Workers has been renewed for a second season by TBS, yay!
- The Last O.G. has been renewed for a third season at TBS.
- Snowpiercer has been renewed at TBS ahead of the premiere. And oh yeah, it’s on TBS now.
- Sirens has been renewed for a third season at Freeform.
- The Bold Type has been renewed by Freeform for a fourth season.
- Madam Secretary is ending after this next 6th season.
- Shaq Life, a docuseries about Shaquille O’Neal, is coming to TBS.
- Amy Hoggart is getting her own series at TBS.
- Race to the Center of the Earth is coming to Nat Geo.
- The Simpsons repeats will be moving to Freeform this fall.
- God Fearing Man, whose script was written by Stanley Kubrick, is being developed as a TV series.
- 16 Shots, a documentary about the shooting of Laquan McDonald, is coming to Showtime.
- Surveillance is still being considered at CBS.
- Patty’s Auto is still being considered at Fox.
- Jimmy Kimmel has signed on for three more years at ABC.
- Uzo Aduba, Rose Byrne, Kayli Carter, Ari Graynor, Melanie Lynskey, James Marsden, Margo Martindale, Sarah Paulson, John Slattery, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Tracey Ullman will join FX’s Mrs. America.
- Constance Zimmer, Toby Leonard Moore, Rose Rollins, Isidora Goreshter, Eric Johnson, Alexei Bondar, and Jonathan Kells Phillips are joining the cast of Condor.
- Luke Bracey, Jake Manley, Jessica Capshaw, Andrew “King Bach” Bachelor, Frances Fisher, Manish Dayal, and Kristin Chenoweth have been added to the cast of Holidate on Netflix.
- Tricia Helfer, Richard Harmon, Nicole Munoz, Keeya King, and pro-wrestler Big Show are joining the cast of Van Helsing on Syfy.
- Keegan-Michael Key is going to host Brain Games on Nat Geo.
Mark Your Calendars
- Black Mirror returns on Netflix on June 5. And Miley Cyrus is involved?
- Rick & Morty will return on Adult Swim in November.
- Party of Five is coming to Freeform. I don’t know when.
- BH90210 will debut on Fox on August 7.
- Chad will be debuting on TBS sometime soon. I am already in love.
- Motherland will debut on Freeform … sometime. I love the premise of this series, I hope it can deliver.
- Everything’s Gonna Be Okay will also debut on Freeform sometime soon. It looks adorable.
- Beats will debut on Netflix on June 19.
- 3% will return on Netflix on June 7.
- Naked and Afraid XL will return on Discovery Channel on June 2.
- My Next Guest Needs No Introduction will return on Netflix on May 31.
- All That will return on Nickelodeon on June 15.
- Primal will debut on Adult Swim in the fall.
- LEGO City Adventures will debut on Nickelodeon on June 22.
- Das Boot will debut on Hulu on June 17.
- Nature’s Strangest Mysteries will debut on Animal Planet on May 17.
- All Elite Wrestling is coming to TNT this fall.
Tim Conway, Actor and comedian. This one is sad, Conway was a great.
Tom Jennings, Agent and casting director
Isaac Kappy, Actor (I should note that Kappy had a complicated story. He accused multiple Hollywood figures of child sexual abuse including Steven Spielberg and once physically attacked Paris Jackson. He was a hero to the Qanon crazies. They are already spinning conspiracy theories about his death.)
The Real Housewives of New York: Sonja and Barbara go upstate to warn Lu. 8 p.m., Bravo
Riverdale: Alright, so are we going to settle this Gargoyle King once and for all? Also, how did those babies float above the fire? What was that even about? Are they ever going to tell us? Season finale. 7 p.m., The CW
Survivor: Season finale and reunion. 7 p.m., CBS
Southern Charm: It’s the sixth season premiere and I have never seen a single episode. I’m just as surprised as you are. Season premiere. 7 p.m., Bravo
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Howard Stern, Of Monsters and Men
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Margo Martindale, PKEW PKEW PKEW, Johnny Radelat
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: BTS
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Octavia Spencer, Henry Winkler, Sarah Tollemache
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Allison Williams, Patton Oswalt, Tedeschi Trucks Band
- Conan: Ron Funches
- Busy Tonight: Leslie Mann
- Watch What Happens Live: Kathryn Dennis, Patricia Altschul
|ABC||Toy Story 2||Whiskey Cavalier
|Jane the Virgin
|FOX||Masterchef Celebrity Family Showdown