SIGH. The last few days with President Tweetsalot have been exhausting to say the fucking least. I didn’t really get into his weekend tweetstorm or the downright TERRIFYING things he was tweeting yesterday, because they were not related to television, and there was just too much other crap to get to, and I just didn’t have the energy. But, because Trump is who Trump is, it always eventually comes back around to television and here we are again.
Last night, the White House announced that the scheduled Philadelphia Eagles’ visit to the White House had been canceled because national anthem:
This was followed up by these charming tweets from President Sore Loser this morning:
KEEP MY ASTROS’ NAME OUT OF YOUR ORANGE MOUTH, YOU MONSTER.
Anyway, you were saying?
Apparently what had happened was fewer than 10 Eagles players were willing to attend the White House event and so, like he did with the Golden State Warriors last year, Trump dumped them before they could dump him.
And that’s the God damned irony here: not one Philadelphia Eagle took a knee during the regular season. Some players just didn’t want to be used as props for a President they personally disagree with and who had spent all season attacking their fellow NFL players to gin up a culture war.
This, however, didn’t stop
State TV Fox News from using a series of photographs of Eagles praying to imply they were actually kneeling during the national anthem:
Fox News issued an apology this morning for essentially putting out propaganda:
And as infuriating as all of this is — which is to say, “very” — it’s hardly the most important thing this asshole tweeted about in the past 36 hours. Let’s just go over a few highlights:
Here he’s trying to seed doubt in an upcoming Inspector General report regarding Comey’s handling of the Clinton investigation. And the wording on this one is particularly nice, suggesting that the report is about “Crooked Hillary” so when the report is released and at the very least doesn’t somehow indict her on something, and in the worst case scenario for President Conspiracy Theory suggests that Comey is in the clear, he can scream that the whole investigation was corrupt:
He attacked his own Attorney General. Again:
And he lied, again, about his own policy that separates children from their parents at the border:
And the amazing thing is THESE ARE NOT THE MOST UPSETTING TWEETS FROM THE LAST DAY AND A HALF. That particular honor goes to the one where he called the Special Counsel’s investigation “unconstitutional”:
And the tweet that has earned a special place in history, the one in which he declared he can pardon himself, essentially insisting that he can be his own judge:
(And sidenote: you know who is the fucking worst? Sarah Huckabee Sanders is the fucking worst. WHY DID YOU LIE ABOUT THE LETTER, SARAH? And why should the White House correspondents ever take your word for anything ever again?)
BUT HEY, PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE FACT THAT THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRYING TO CLAIM THAT HE IS ABOVE THE LAW BECAUSE LOOKEE OVER HERE! SOME FOOTBALL PLAYERS WERE MEAN TO HIM AND HURT HIS FEE-FEES!
In other TV news
The potential Roseanne spinoff continues to inch forward. From what I understand, ABC is trying to get around having to pay Roseanne Barr for a “new series” based on Darlene’s character. The argument is that Roseanne Barr only created the character of Roseanne Connor — but that the show itself was the creation of another writer, Matt Williams. If Roseanne Connor isn’t a part of a new series, the argument goes, Barr won’t be entitled to any part of the show’s profits. It’s an interesting position, but one that absolutely will land everyone in court, mark my words. According to TMZ, an announcement could happen as early as this week.
Meanwhile, Roseanne Barr’s twitter followers has increased by 35% because no one wants to miss out on that hot racist tweet action.
Game of Thrones‘ season 8 scripts reportedly self-destruct. It ain’t gonna stop spoilers, tho.
Miss America will no longer judge their contestants on their physical appearance, and they are getting rid of the swimsuit and evening wear competition. Gretchen Carlson announced that it is no longer a “pageant,” it is now a “competition.” It’s an interesting development that moves the event closer to what its staunchest defenders have always insisted that it is: a platform for women and one of — if not the — biggest contributors to scholarships for women. However, it will be interesting to see if audiences will be willing to tune in to a “competition” rather than a “pageant.”
The Association of National Advertisers awarded This is Us with their first ever #SeeHer award, which honors primetime series “that pushes boundaries on changing stereotypes and recognizes the importance of women and girls in media.”
Harvey Weinstein pled not guilty to the rape and sex crime charges against him.
Bill Cosby is trying to get the Supreme Court involved in the defamation case Janice Dickinson has slapped him with. This is a weird time to be alive.
- Younger has been renewed for a sixth season on TV Land.
- Mary Kills People has been renewed for a third and final season by its production company (presumably Lifetime will renew it).
- Shadowhunters will end after three seasons on Freeform.
- Joss Whedon is working on a female detective series for Freeform.
- Rise and Kill First : The Secret History of Israel’s Targeted Assassinations will be turned into a series at HBO.
- Gretchen Carlson is hosting Lifetime’s “Justice for Women” Monday night block of television.
- Ayesha Curry will host Family Food Fight on ABC.
- Jewel, Stephanie McMahon and Ashley Graham will be on CBS’s Celebrity Undercover Boss.
- Adrian Holmes and Jacky Lai are joining Netflix’s V-Wars.
- Liana Liberato, Haley Ramm, Ajiona Alexus, Brianne Tju, Peyton List, Dylan Sprayberry, Jordan Rodrigues, Brent Rivera and Dorian Brown Pham have joined the cast of Hulu’s Light as a Feather.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher has joined the cast of Dan the Weatherman, a pilot that is still being considered over at Fox.
Mark Your Calendars
- Orange is the New Black returns on Netflix on July 27.
- Outpost will debut on The CW on July 10.
- Burden of Truth will debut on The CW on July 25.
- Greenleaf will return on OWN in a two-night premiere on August 28-29.
- The Ranch returns on Netflix on June 15, and Danny Masterson is nowhere to be seen in this trailer:
- Lip Sync Battle returns on Paramount Network on June 14.
- Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings returns on Freeform on June 11.
- Cover Story returns on Game Show Networks on June 10.
- Believer will debut on HBO on June 25.
Hugh Dane, Actor (perhaps best known as Hank the Security Guard on The Office)
Joe Bellon, CBS News executive and producer of America’s Funniest Home Videos
Kent McCray, Little House on the Prairie and Highway to Heaven producer, among others
Kate Spade, Designer
Humans: Before there was Westworld … Season premiere. 9 p.m., AMC
Face/Off: 12 favorites return and will compete head-to-head each week. Season premiere. 8 p.m., Syfy
Younger: Season premiere. 9 p.m., TV Land
Teachers: Season premiere. 9:30 p.m., TV Land
Late Night: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Bill Clinton, James Patterson, Tig Notaro The Late Late Show with James Corden: Lucy Liu, Mandy Patinkin, Shawn Mendes Conan: Chris Hardwick, Leslie Bibb The Daily Show: Brian Tyree Henry The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Sheri Fink
|Splitting Up Together
|Splitting Up Together
|48 Hours: NCIS
|NBC||America’s Got Talent
|World of Dance