Yesterday was Mother’s Day.
— 𝕐o̴g̴ (@Yoda4ever) May 8, 2022
All Other TV News
Did I not mention last week that the Daytime Emmy nominees came out? I’ve been dealing with a brutal cold for the past week and might have missed it.
John C. Reilly isn’t wrong about Winning Time: “I knew it would be difficult for the people involved in this story to see their lives depicted in a semi-fictional way. But that doesn’t mean this story shouldn’t be told. The truth is these were crazy times. There was anger and betrayal, and the shit was hitting the fan. I respect everyone’s right to their own story, but I don’t think that precludes others from telling public stories. And this is a public story.”
The well-informed nerds over at Watchers at the Wall dissect the House of the Dragon trailer beat-for-beat. Nothing too spoilery.
If you’re following the pilot season, here’s where Deadline thinks each of the networks stands. Sadly, there doesn’t seem to be a single La Brea or Manifest among the contenders. Decisions have to be made soon: NBC and Fox are the first network upfronts, scheduled for one week from today.
Another Will Smith film has been temporarily shelved until
he can orchestrate a media comeback this Slap business calms down.
This is a funny piece about the trash music on specifically Selling Sunset, but it reminds me of the terrible terrible TERRIBLE music on shows like Love at First Sight and The Ultimatum. Hilariously, distractingly terrible.
I’m quite obsessed #sellingsunset
This morning the online Russian TV schedule page was hacked
The name of every programme was changed to "On your hands is the blood of thousands of Ukrainians and their hundreds of murdered children. TV and the authorities are lying. No to war" pic.twitter.com/P2uCNz8cqa
— Francis Scarr (@francis_scarr) May 9, 2022
A group of GOP senators wants to add an LGBTQ-content warning to TV shows. Meanwhile, LGBTQ people are just out here wanting to exist without being considered something “dangerous” that people should be warned against. They’re not going back into the closet, and they are not going to be marginalized by a dwindling minority.
“A GLAAD spokesperson responded to the Senators’ letter by saying, ‘LGBTQ people are in every family, workplace, school and neighborhood. Media is simply reflecting and representing this reality and growing acceptance of LGBTQ people across the board. An overwhelming majority of Americans reject efforts to ban books and censor conversation.’”
- I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson has been renewed for a third season on Netflix.
- King Rex, a limited series starring Henry Winkler, and directed by his son Max, is in the works at HBO.
- Project Nemesis is being adapted into a TV series at Sony.
- The Sacrifice Game, a horror film, is headed to Shudder. Glorious, a film starring J.K. Simmons is also coming to Shudder.
- Compulsion has been acquired at Paramount+.
- Invincible Fight Girl and Driftwood have been greenlit at HBO Max and Cartoon Network.
- Alan Ritchson has signed a three-picture deal with Amazon.
- Ncuti Gatwa is your new Doctor Who.
- Cara Delevingne and Shirley MacLaine have joined Only Murders in the Building on Hulu.
- Jack Huston has joined the cast of The Mayfair Witches on AMC.
- Andrea Savage has been added to the cast of Tulsa King on Paramount+.
- Farhan Akhtar is joining Ms. Marvel on Disney+.
- Ben Feldman, Missi Pyle, Jacqueline Correa, Nondumiso Tembe, Morgan Lynee Dudley, Andrew Barth Feldman, Glynn Sweet, and Alexa Povah have joined the cast of A Tourist’s Guide to Love on Netflix.
- Rita Ora and James Hong have joined the cast of Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight on Netflix.
- Nile Bullock, Jenna Lamb, and Braedan De La Garza have joined Cruel Summer on Freeform.
- Selena Gomez will host Saturday Night Live this week with musical guest Post Malone.
Mark Your Calendar
- Ms. Marvel will premiere on June 8 on Disney+.
In one month, witness the beginning of a new marvel 💥
— Ms. Marvel (@msmarvel) May 8, 2022
- God’s Favorite Idiot will debut on Netflix on June 15.
- Paper Girls will premiere on Prime Video soon.
- Slow Horses will return on Apple TV+ soon.
- Expedition X will return on Discovery on May 25.
- Expedition Unknown will return on Discovery on May 25.
- Selling The OC will come to Netflix soon.
- Dear Mama will premiere on FX this fall.
- Password will debut on NBC on August 9.
— Fallon.eth (@jimmyfallon) May 5, 2022
- Never Have I Ever will return on Netflix on August 12.
- Josh Gates Tonight will return on Discovery on May 25.
- The Upshaws returns on Netflix on June 29.
- The 2022 Eurovision Song Contest will begin streaming on Peacock on May 10.
- Trigger Point will premiere on Peacock on July 8.
- Messy History of American Food will premiere on Discovery+ on May 11.
- Love, Death + Robots Volume 3 premieres on Netflix on May 20.
- The Lost City will debut on Paramount+ on May 10.
- Elizabeth: The Unseen Queen will air on BBC on May 29.
Mickey Gilley, Country singer, actor, and owner of the legendary Gilley’s as featured in Urban Cowboy, one of the five movies I will stop and watch every time it comes on
Kenneth Welsh, Character actor who appeared in Twin Peaks, Charmed, and Lodge 49 among many many others
Dennis Waterman, U.K. actor who appeared in Minder, The Sweeney, and New Tricks
Kang Soo-youn, Korean actress
George Pérez, Comic illustrator
Candy: Jessica Biel and Melanie Lynsky star in this limited series based on the true-crime case of Candy Montgomery, a Dallas-area housewife who snapped. Series premiere. Hulu
Breeders: The kids are full-blown teens in the third season. Premiere. 9 p.m., FX
American Song Contest: The final 10 perform and a winner is announced. Season finale. 7 p.m., NBC
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Rachel Brosnahan, Jack Harlow
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Bob Odenkirk, Bobby Moynihan, Derrick Wright
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Sarah Silverman, Shaquille O’Neal, Sharon Van Etten
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Anthony Anderson, Michael Bublé
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Jessica Biel, Glen Powell, St. Paul and the Broken Bones
- The Daily Show: TBA
- Watch What Happens Live: Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jesse Williams
|ABC||Moana||The Good Doctor
|Bob ♥ Abishola
|All American: Homecoming
|9-1-1: Lone Star
|NBC||American Song Contest