My dog hates being kissed, to be honest. So I have to live vicariously.
Dog reactions to the kiss
— Tansu YEĞEN (@TansuYegen) August 8, 2022
Here’s A BUNCH OF TV News
The Sandman is, somewhat unsurprisingly, the number one series on Netflix right now, amassing 69.5 million hours watched in the first three days, which is pretty impressive. I contributed to those hours (although I haven’t finished it yet) and can attest that it is beautiful, not at all boring as some critics have said, and that as a non-comic reader, I was able to follow along just fine.
Here are some (spoilery) seeds planted in the first season of The Sandman that could possibly become story arcs in season two. Which, presumably, will happen.
This is amazing: Mason Alexander Park got the role of Desire after he tweeted Neil Gaiman in 2020. You gotta shoot your shot:
Will Desire be making an appearance S1? And if so, please tell me you haven’t found them yet/are still auditioning 🙏🏻 pic.twitter.com/rNUthhHbj8
— Mason Alexander Park (@MasonAPark) October 17, 2020
And as always, there are the toxic fans who are complaining about the “woke” casting, but Neil Gaiman is not having it.
It’s not a backlash. When someone grumbles about Sandman being woke and they get 10 likes, and I point out they’re being idiots & get 60,000 likes there isn’t a backlash going on. There’s a few people grumbling performatively on Twitter, & thousands of people waiting for Friday. https://t.co/Y8VEBZEppR
— Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself) July 31, 2022
Over on Hulu, Prey has been a massive hit — the number one debut to date in both film and TV.
But you’ll notice that I didn’t mention how many people streamed Prey or Star Trek: Strange New Worlds above. Streaming services really don’t like to talk viewership numbers, not even with their creators.
George R.R. Martin has confirmed that Benioff and Weiss basically pushed him out of the making of Game of Thrones by seasons 5 and 6. AND IT SHOWED. Here’s a list of five questions the show never answered, for instance, and it’s good. Because seriously, why did we spend all that time with Arya training to be a Faceless Man if she was only going to use it the one time? What was the point of Bran becoming the Three-Eyed Raven? Just to make the big Jon Snow reveal? THAT’S IT? And what about Cersei’s prophecy? Sure, that’s not a reference that most people will remember — but I do. What happened with that? Was it all a red herring? I will die mad at how Benioff and Weiss rushed the end of this series.
Apparently, DC president Walter Hamada very nearly quit over the whole Batgirl fiasco, and everyone over at DC HATES Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav. All of that checks out.
A thing I learned today: Chris Pine’s dad is a working character actor who is co-starring in Five Days at Memorial on Apple TV+, and has had roles in Veep, It’s Always Sunny, The Office, and Parks and Recreation.
Melanie Lynskey’s psychic told her that Yellowjackets was going to be the project that would jump-start her career. She needs to keep that psychic and give me her number.
The FBI search of Mar-A-Lago was a gift for the late-night comics last night:
Fox News talking about Hillary but make the footage the Trump raid pic.twitter.com/wL8A5Chn2V
— The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) August 9, 2022
Donald Trump on the Fifth Amendment:
“The mob takes the Fifth.”
“If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment.”
“Taking the Fifth, I think it’s disgraceful.”
Donald Trump is currently pleading the Fifth.
— MeidasTouch (@MeidasTouch) August 10, 2022
- A documentary about Steve Martin is being developed at Apple TV+.
- Kevin Smith’s adaptation of Strange Adventures is not moving forward at HBO Max. I’m sure this is part money issues and part of their plan to reorganize their DC properties, but Kevin Smith’s recent comments on what a bad look it was for HBO Max to shelve Batgirl are definitely interesting in light of this.
- In good HBO Max news, the Black Canary movie is still going forward.
- Jon Hamm is joining The Morning Show on Apple TV+.
- Chyler Leigh has joined the cast of The Way Home on The Hallmark Channel.
- Michael Smith has joined Thursday Night Football on Prime Video as a news analyst.
Mark Your Calendars
- House of Hammer will debut on Discovery+ on September 2.
- My True Crime Story will return on VH1 on August 29.
- Trolls: TrollsTopia will return for its final season in Hulu tomorrow.
- Little Women debuts on Netflix on September 3.
- Yellowjackets is expected to return to Showtime sometime in early 2023.
- A Friend of the Family will debut on Peacock on October 6.
- America’s National Parks will premiere on National Geographic on August 29 and on Disney+ on August 31.
- Fate of a Sport will premiere on ESPN+ on August 29.
- No Ordinary Life will premiere on CNN on September 5.
Biyi Bandele, Writer and director
Raymond Briggs, Children’s book author
Darryl Hunt, Bassist for the Pogues
I Am Groot: This new series is five shorts featuring Baby Groot and friends. Premiere. Disney+
Indian Matchmaker: Sima Taparia is back to help clients in India and America find spouses. Season premiere. Netflix
Locke & Key: Third and final season. Netflix
So You Think You Can Dance: The final two dancers go head-to-head to determine who will take home $100,000. Season finale. 8 p.m., Fox
Resident Alien: Second season premiere. 9 p.m., Syfy & USA
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Madonna; Elvis Costello; Rusty
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Kieran Culkin, Run the Jewels, Joe Walsh
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Jamie Foxx; Abbi Jacobson; Soccer Mommy
- The Daily Show: Akin Omotoso
- Watch What Happens Live: Kathy Hilton, Crystal Kung Minkoff
|Press Your Luck
|The Challenge: USA
|So You Think You Can Dance
|NBC||America’s Got Talent