Did y’all watch the live remakes of All in the Family and The Jeffersons last night? It was better than I expected — particularly the remake of The Jeffersons (I would absolutely watch a reboot of The Jeffersons with this cast).
But it was the little things that made this special special: Jennifer Hudson’s FANTASTIC rendition of The Jeffersons‘ theme song, which is arguably the best theme song of all time:
The surprise appearance by Marla Gibbs in her original role:
And Jamie Foxx flubbing his lines in the All in the Family piece … and his hilarious recovery:
It was so delightful, I almost wonder if he didn’t do it intentionally to play up the whole WE’LL DO IT LIVE! thing.
The whole thing was more than just an exercise in nostalgia, the way CBS’s revisiting of I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show are. It was a testament to how timeless these series were — but also a reminder that we’ve been here before, the political issues that divide us are fights we’ve been having for 50 years and more. It also served as a lovely tribute to Norman Lear and his genius and I’m thrilled Jimmy Kimmel pulled it off for Mr. Lear to see. If you missed it, it looks like ABC might make it available on their site sometime soon (it appears to be locked at the moment.)
Bravo is going to have its own convention this summer: BravoCon, which will be held November 15-17 in New York City will feature panels, access to Bravo’s biggest stars, and PERFORMANCES. Y’all, if I knew that Simon from RHONY would be there to perform “I’m Real,” I would buy a ticket.
Lonely Island released a special on Netflix at midnight lasts night called The Unauthorized Bash Brothers Experience, which imagined that Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire released a rap album together in 1988. It’s kinda amazing.
So … there’s a new talk show on BBC2 that is hosted by an animated Vladimir Putin. Boy, I hope BBC has an anti-poisoning plan in place.
Or maybe she just paid attention to the season one poster?
- The Last Drive-in with Joe Bob Briggs has been renewed for another season at Shudder.
- Zomboat! is coming to Hulu and ITV.
- Hello, Universe is being adapted for Netflix.
- Dino Girl Gauko has been ordered by Netflix.
- Freshwater is being adapted for FX.
- Martin Short is also joining Good People on Amazon. Lisa Kudrow Greg Kinnear had previously been cast.
- Julissa Calderon, Annie Gonzalez, Laura Patalano, Felipe Esparza, Rafael Sigler, Jaime Alvarez, Bianca Melgar, Michelle Ortiz, and Alejandro Patiño are joining the cast of Gentefied on Netflix.
Mark Your Calendars
- Claws returns on TNT on June 9.
- Queen Sugar returns on OWN on June 12.
- Kevin Hart Presents: Hart of the City returns on Comedy Central on June 14.
- Growing Up Hip Hop: Atlanta returns on WE tv on June 13.
- Basketball Wives returns on VH1 on June 19.
- Catfish: The TV Show returns on MTV on June 12.
- Truth Behind the Moon Landing will debut on Science Channel on June 2.
Jake Black, Singer and composer of “Woke Up This Morning,” The Sopranos theme song.
Red Nose Day: This year there’s some sort of Four Weddings and a Funeral bit and whatever this Mad Libs is: “a reimagining of Hall and Oates’ “You Make My Dreams” that includes Julianne Hough, Rob Gronkowski, and Chrissy Metz.” 7 p.m., NBC
This is Farrah Fawcett: An exploration of the life of the Corpus Christi girl. 7 p.m., ABC
The Name of the Rose: A new adaptation of the classic Umberto Eco novel starring John Turturro and Michael Emerson. Series premiere. 9 p.m., Sundance
Elementary: Season finale. 9 p.m., CBS
- Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Harrison Ford, Richard Madden, Bazzi
- Late Night with Seth Meyers: Olivia Wilde, Christopher Abbott, Janine Brito, Sebastian Thomson
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert: Conan O’Brien, Jim Sciutto, the National
- The Late Late Show with James Corden: Lucy Liu, James Marsden
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Jason Sudeikis, Ben Platt
- The Daily Show: Wyatt Cenac
- Conan: Jason Mantzoukas, Nish Kumar
- Watch What Happens Live: Billie Lourd, Allison Williams
|ABC||This is Farrah Fawcett
|CBS||The Big Bang Theory
|Life in Pieces
|In the Dark
|NBC||Red Nose Day
|Hollywood Game Night